Thread: Fedora 8 username and password

Fedora 8 username and password

I am a new user (nearly) of Linux.
    Tested live discs from several flavours of Linux the last being Fedora 8. This was the only one that worked without any problems.
    So I downloaded the install version (all 3G of it) and installed to a separate HDD. No problems at all until I rebooted to start it running. The sign on screen asked for my user name and password!
    What username and password??? At no time during install was I asked to enter such info or any clue given as to a defaults, save for a root password.
    Thought I has missed something so I did the install all over again with the same result.
    So how do I get going?
    Please help.
    Hedleyq

When you did your first reboot, you should've been prompted to create a new user and password.
    If you don't have it, it may be easier to reinstall, however there is a guide to change it on this site... I just don't remember where. sorry
    Do you remember the root password?
    63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs,
    ya get 1 whacked with a service pack,
    now there's 63,005 bugs in the code!!

Thank you for your reply.
    I did try a complete re-install from the DVD (it takes an hour to do it) but the result was exactly the same.
    This time I watched very carefully to make sure I had not missed anything. I used the same root password each time and I made a note of it

Next I tried to install to a HDD from the live CD. This was a success. After the first reboot I was asked to enter a username and password and away it went, I was amazed to find that it was able to find my ISP without any input from me and that I was immediately connected to the internet.

Before trying Fedora I had also tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Suse but all three of these failed to complete an installation, dying somwhere along the way (Suse lasted about 30 secs before it gave in).

Perhaps I should be saying "Come back Bill, all is forgiven"

hedleyq

Well, if you have a root password, you can create a user account. Login as root, goto System Settings->Users and Groups.
    63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs,
    ya get 1 whacked with a service pack,
    now there's 63,005 bugs in the code!!

if u cant remember any password u can boot to runlevel 1. this will take u in as superuser then u can add or change password.
    to do this u need to pass extra parameter to the kernel boot parameter.

on startup, select the kernel u want to boot to then type "a" (without the inverted comma) to modify the kernel parameter. then add "runlevel 1" (again without the inverted comma)

Hope this help!