Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

administrator log in

Thread: administrator log in

Hybrid View

administrator log in

Can someone please tell me how to login in to get administrator privlages.
    I have a 300 gig Hdd (external) that I plug into the USB port but I can't access the Hdd because it says I don't have adminstrator privledges, how do I get those privledges to read the Hdd. It won't let me login in as root when I start the system

Thank you,
    Kwdaye

You can reset your root password by booting in single user mode and then using the passwd command to change root password.

Here is a link on how to do it in Fedora / Ubuntu. It should be similar in Mandriva.

Quote Originally Posted by kwdaye View Post
    Can someone please tell me how to login in to get administrator privlages.
    I have a 300 gig Hdd (external) that I plug into the USB port but I can't access the Hdd because it says I don't have adminstrator privledges, how do I get those privledges to read the Hdd. It won't let me login in as root when I start the system

Thank you,
    Kwdaye
    you are blocked for opening a graphic interface as root...therefor I asume you use mdv2007 as it was not on the previous ones...
    you have to go in a terminal and log as root then edit /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc
    and change AllowRootLogin=false to AllowRootLogin=true
    save, close your graphic sesion and press ctrl+alt+backspace and login as root
    you always can do su in a terminal
    are you sure your drive is not ntfs? if yes then you might have a little bit of work to do to mount it in read/write.

To get around the root GUI login problem, couldn't <ctrl><alt><F2>...<F6> give you a text UI from the console which would alow you to get access as root?

You could also try to open a teminal window and su to root and do it too.

That's true in Fedora, is Mandriva / KDE any different?

Not allowing root logins from the GUI could be a good security feature to prevent passers by doing bad things to an unattended system logged in as the root user. (assuming they don't have an unattended root terminal window open in the GUI, or sudo access that doesn't prompt for a password, which are other bad things to do too from a security)

you are right tuxete su works well in mandriva and in the console (F1 to F6) you can login as root (not like ubuntu).
    and you are right again that for security point of view it is better but in that case the ubuntu way is even better...it's just a mix...( I'm not really a big sudo fan)
    I was just giving to kwdaye the way to log in as root as he asked!

No problem nounou. I was just wondering, that's all.

Getting when there should be isn't my style.