Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool applications

Re:Cool applications

Hey... RedHat can have apt-get now(wow, RPMs evolve from the darkages..).... oh boy, now would this be workable on say.... Mandrake?

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=LC link=board=2;threadid=5187;start=30#53160 date=1036498025]
    Hey... RedHat can have apt-get now(wow, RPMs evolve from the darkages..).... oh boy, now would this be workable on say.... Mandrake?
    [/quote]

Yes, I believe that 8.1 had that capability (not sure how well it works).

Cheers

g4u - ghost for UNIX This nifty tool images a drive and this image can then be installed on other drives. works with any filesystem or operating system. very cool.

Advisor

giFT <-- best p2p file sharing app out there, if you ask me.

edit by pbharris - fixed link

Gentoo - A 2 pane filemanager, very powerful yet quick and compact.

Mencoder (part of Mplayer) - Very good for ripping DVD's capturing any video and just an all around great encoder.

TagLines - Great for new sig's on your emails, or just getting a [second for slackers] quote of the day after a "startx" is issued (with a little xinitrc tweaking).

That's all I can think of for now...

PB, that very first one looks VERY promising. I will be giving a try later, thank you very much for that link.

Cool

Another thread just made me realize that nobody's mentioned THE place to get cool apps. For those who don't know, http://www.freshmeat.net/ has just about any piece of software you can find for linux.

Hmmm......How about.....

Ethereal

Good for helping in routing, and security.

Nmap

Great app for check your network security.

Cheops

One of my favorites. Show network connectivity, and can check you status of your other machines on your network, plus various other options.

Tripwire

Getting hacked? This application will let you know what files are getting manipulated.

LinNeighborhood

Great little app for the people using SAMBA networks. Gives you the so called "Network Neighborhood" feeling, but I think it gives a "NetWare" feel really.

WebMin

Application for Administration over a browser. Supports various servers, services, and basic admin needs.

GTKam/gPhoto

Need an app for easy transfers from your digital camera, or have a digital camera that doesn't mount itself as a device on your Linux box (Like mine :P ) ?

Kopete

The Linux IM of IMs. ICQ, AIM, IRC, Jabber, & MSN supported.

Chordmedia

Awesome application that adds visual effects to you PCM sounds.

Dead Link Now ;(

Application that would crash people's systems with infinate pop-ups.

I'm think I'm dry now. :P

I think I'll just throw this in here..

The kernel

The Working functionally Overloaded Linux Kernel - this is awesome

the Linux Kernel Mailing List is also a good place to look for bugfixes, and nice little feature add-ons.

[quote author=Kernel_Killer link=board=2;threadid=5187;start=30#55314 date=1039339663]
    Hmmm......How about.....

Ethereal

Good for helping in routing, and security.

Nmap

Great app for check your network security.

Cheops

One of my favorites. Show network connectivity, and can check you status of your other machines on your network, plus various other options.

Tripwire

Getting hacked? This application will let you know what files are getting manipulated.

LinNeighborhood

Great little app for the people using SAMBA networks. Gives you the so called "Network Neighborhood" feeling, but I think it gives a "NetWare" feel really.

WebMin

Application for Administration over a browser. Supports various servers, services, and basic admin needs.

GTKam/gPhoto

Need an app for easy transfers from your digital camera, or have a digital camera that doesn't mount itself as a device on your Linux box (Like mine :P ) ?

Kopete

The Linux IM of IMs. ICQ, AIM, IRC, Jabber, & MSN supported.

The Answer

I always go to this site when I can't figure a problem out. Usually helps me troubleshoot it more effectivly.

I'm think I'm dry now. :P
    [/quote]
    My computer crashed because of your last link. I don't think it gives a very good impression to any newbies who come here looking for help, to have their machines crashing because a million popups come on.

Mentor

[quote author=trickster link=board=2;threadid=5187;start=30#55364 date=1039391128]
    My computer crashed because of your last link. I don't think it gives a very good impression to any newbies who come here looking for help, to have their machines crashing because a million popups come on.
    [/quote]

I just clicked on the linked. It was telling me that I was in idiot, nothing more. No popups at all and my computer didn't crash (of course my browser is setup up to block pop ups). What browser/OS were you using? How is everybody else?