Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Cool applications
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool applications

Cool applications

Hey people,
    We all know there are a ton of cool applications for Linux - keeping track of them is the hard part and knowing all the apps out there is even tough. For instance i was looking and looking for someing to covert my mp3s to oggs, then rename and add ID3 tags. Tonight after I am l done with this task I find this!!

Cantus - an easy to use tool for tagging and renaming MP3 and OGG/Vorbis files.

So if you could please post something that is kinda unique lets everyone know. I hope to keep this thread sticky...

BTW people!! I will be editing posts just to keep a consistant format, e.g. the application name will be a link to the application and that is about all. The context will not change. I am guessing this will get bigger and one of these days i will wanna catagorize stuff.

And oh yea! all responses get an + carma point!

Re:Cool applications

gkrellm. Definitely a needed app. It makes everything nice...

the standard in system monitering.
    Stuff gkrellm can do with the right pluggin: volume control, ever important moniter for hardware specs, e.g. CPU temperature, mail notification, control of radio cards. loads 'o' stuff.

Prozilla - speed up downloads
    Squid - speed up web browsing & block web ads
    File Runner - excellent file manager

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

edit by pbharris:
    Hey - that prozilla and file runner look very cool, is the squid you refer to the proxy version ?

rip I- a great console ripper

cdcd - console cdplayer with cddb

ogle (gui-less)- good dvd player with excellent keybindings

xine - good dvd and other media player

Video Lan Client - Another great DVD player for Linux.

mp3blaster - excellent xmms substitute

distributed folding consoleprotien folding app - why waste your cycles looking for aliens I say

Edit by pbharris:
    Added links to software and also my favorite DVD player.
    except you got the distributed folding link wrong but i fixed it:P

mplayer = best video player for any OS
    transcode = ripper of dvds and encoder of all things video
    dvd::rip = if you need GUI for transcode
    pico and pine = great text editor that happens to come with a great mail program.

tcprobe = read those tracks on that DVD!

normalize = normalize volume of mulitple wavs, mp3s, oggs, gets rid of those cds with 10 different volume levels =)

convert = convert multiple images into a better format like jpg (you must install all of imagicmagick for convert)

hey Rick - can you post a link to to this proggy?
    [edit:gorn]i got it[/edit]

also please check if the links i added are correct

ickle - Instant messenger for the ICQ protocol. If you're tired of licq crapping out and crashing on you - this is the client you want.

CGI IRC - a web based IRC client - no yucky java applets

hey thanks everybody!!
    i forgot a couple more
    Tux Type - A game for kids to learn how to type. I play it myself too!! and in the grand tradition of Tux games - that penguin is gonna get some fish!

Audacity - Sound editor which is pretty darned nice!! I use it to combine songs that were meant to be combined but in turning them into oggs they were seperated.

ROX Filer, fastest GUI filemanager around.

edit by pbharris:
    Wow gonzo john!! that is awsome! especially for us fvwm users who don't always like konq or nautalis.

gaim the ultimate in instant messaging
    gqview wonderful image browser
    utar tar/zip front end
    dusort puts the output of du in order smallest to largest

d4x a download manager with a clean, simple interface and a lot of features.