Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Recommendations on books

Thread: Recommendations on books

Recommendations on books

Is there a reasonable "cookbook" for setting up Linux as a home gateway that provides mailserver, dhcp, samba, and bind and dns services to the remainder of the family. I have the server up and running, but everytime I touch dhcp or dns, or bind, I manage to break something else. I am reasonably competent having spend 20 years in IT, but need a guide something above the "dummies" level of documentation.

advTHANKSance

Linux Documentation Project
    http://www.tldp.org/guides.html

Securing & Optimizing Linux: The Ultimate Solution - although outdated a bit but certain above "dummy" level. I guess if you are going to setup these services once and for all, might as well have the security issues sorted out while doing it.

Kind Rgds,
    Jacken

Administrator Associate gr8rcake's Avatar
    "Linux Administration: A Beginner's Guide" By Steve Shah (Osborne). The last 1/2 covers most of those topics in more detail than some of the others I've tried. Not perfect, but I bought it because it was one of the most popular / highly rated titles on Amazon. Clear writing style.

Not specific to a home environment though.

The Linux web pages on this site are OK and are specific to a Linux network in the home. http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com

I also use Google a lot on an as needed basis.