Thread: Issue with the NIC in RedHat LINUX AS 3.0

Issue with the NIC in RedHat LINUX AS 3.0

Hi All,

I have an Issue with the NIC card in LINUX on my Intel Server. The Intel Server Gigabit Ethernet card is installing with out any Drivers Issue and I am able to ping to the Ethernet card with the IP Assigned by me ex 192.168.1.1 Locally . but I am not able to Ping any computer on the network.(The IPaddress and the Subnet info are correct)

The Same server is working on Windows OS, Narrowing down the Issue to the OS than the Hardware. The LINUX Firewall is also Disabled . I have installed 3 com Ethernet card in the PCI Slot and still i have the same Issue with the second NIC also. Can any one pls help me resolve the Issue . and mark a Email to surya.kalidindi@gmail.com

Thanx and Regards,
    Surya..

Administrator Associate gr8rcake's Avatar
    It is probably because it isn't negotiating it's speed and duplex correctly with the switch.

My experience is that Linux doesn't autonegotiate very well with some manufacturer's hardware, especially Cisco.

Set the switch port to forced GigE of Fast Ethernet full duplex and do the same on your NIC using mii-tool or ethtool

Check this link for details.

I'd also edit your original post and remove your email address at the end. You'll probably start getting unwanted spam from spammers crawling the web for email addresses.

Issue not yet resolved

Hi ,

I have checked with different switches also then also I have the same problem

Quote Originally Posted by gr8rcake
    It is probably because it isn't negotiating it's speed and duplex correctly with the switch.

My experience is that Linux doesn't autonegotiate very well with some manufacturer's hardware, especially Cisco.

Set the switch port to forced GigE of Fast Ethernet full duplex and do the same on your NIC using mii-tool or ethtool

Check this link for details.

Did you manually set the speed and duplex or left it at auto-negotiate on the other switches too? Force the switch speed if you can and force it on the NIC and it may just work.

You may also have an Linux incompatible NIC. You may want to consider NdisWrapper.

The 3com NIC should be compatible though so that may not necessarily be the problem.