Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Sabayon Linux - Give it a go!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sabayon Linux - Give it a go!

Hybrid View

Smile Sabayon Linux - Give it a go!

Hey guys! I am a long time supporter of debian based distros thanks to their great package manager (apt-get). I very rarely try non debian based distros, but I decided to give Sabayon Linux a go, after reading many positive reviews of it, and it turns out to be a great little distro. I am impressed with the automatically installed GPU drivers (ati/nvidia supported out of the box), all codecs including flash and dvd installed straight away, and the ability to choose from a KDE or a Gnome installation. It seems very fast, and boots up on my aging Athlon 64 x2 3800+ with 2gb of ram in mere seconds, which is something that I am not used to with some other distros cough, Fedora...).

Some Nice Touches:
    - OMFG my wireless worked from the get go!
    - No installation of Nvidia or ATI drivers necessary, it's already done!
    - A good set of necessary packages installed by default while minimizing bloat.
    - Easy to use and clean interface. Nice to see extra themes installed by default for the tinkerers.

Some little quibbles though:
    - installing packages is a pain in the butt because it updates all available packages before it downloads the package you want. Eg: I had to download 500mb of packages before I could install Sylpheed!
    - AmaroK has really changed since the versions I used to use, and I would say for the worse! The UI is utterly confusing, and I actually had to install Banshee for decent music organisation! Not Sabayons fault, but a real disappointment, I used to love AmaroK.
    - My dual monitors are giving me headaches, but again, probably more of ATI's problem, and not Sabayon.

I thoroughly recommend people to try this distro, it seems to be very functional and fast with very little modification after the install on my system. If you are looking for something different, then give it a go, and let me know how you went
    My Website:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Website Uptime:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

Quote Originally Posted by beezlebubsbum View Post
    Hey guys! I am a long time supporter of debian based distros thanks to their great package manager (apt-get). I very rarely try non debian based distros, but I decided to give Sabayon Linux a go, after reading many positive reviews of it, and it turns out to be a great little distro. I am impressed with the automatically installed GPU drivers (ati/nvidia supported out of the box), all codecs including flash and dvd installed straight away, and the ability to choose from a KDE or a Gnome installation. It seems very fast, and boots up on my aging Athlon 64 x2 3800+ with 2gb of ram in mere seconds, which is something that I am not used to with some other distros cough, Fedora...).

Some Nice Touches:
    - OMFG my wireless worked from the get go!
    - No installation of Nvidia or ATI drivers necessary, it's already done!
    - A good set of necessary packages installed by default while minimizing bloat.
    - Easy to use and clean interface. Nice to see extra themes installed by default for the tinkerers.

Some little quibbles though:
    - installing packages is a pain in the butt because it updates all available packages before it downloads the package you want. Eg: I had to download 500mb of packages before I could install Sylpheed!
    - AmaroK has really changed since the versions I used to use, and I would say for the worse! The UI is utterly confusing, and I actually had to install Banshee for decent music organisation! Not Sabayons fault, but a real disappointment, I used to love AmaroK.
    - My dual monitors are giving me headaches, but again, probably more of ATI's problem, and not Sabayon.

I thoroughly recommend people to try this distro, it seems to be very functional and fast with very little modification after the install on my system. If you are looking for something different, then give it a go, and let me know how you went
    Ubuntu is still meeting my needs, although I haven't made the jump to Karmic. During testing the ATI stuff never really worked very well, and that left a bad taste in my mouth. Very much agreed about Amarok. I no longer use it since the interface tanked. I've been using Rythmbox lately.

Quote Originally Posted by hysterik View Post
    Ubuntu is still meeting my needs, although I haven't made the jump to Karmic. During testing the ATI stuff never really worked very well, and that left a bad taste in my mouth. Very much agreed about Amarok. I no longer use it since the interface tanked. I've been using Rythmbox lately.
    Glad to hear other people were having ATI issues as well. I am going to give Sabayon a try soon. I tested in a VM and liked what I saw. I just can't understand why Ubuntu can't just fix something permanently. They had the ATI stuff working, now..nothing. Its just starting to get under my skin, its really been dissuading me from upgrading. But of course I did upgrade to 9.10 and of course my ATI drivers went away and now no 3D acceleration. Got so ticked off I booted into WinXP and spend the rest of the day there. Felt like I was cheating on a girlfriend tho :-P

Songbird for me guys, the only one I have been able to find that works consistently with my NAS , which is where all my music is, everything else barfed if they couldn't find the path on startup.
    jro -

Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

Yeah I agree with Songbird, a great piece of software! So what's going on? Is the new ubuntu release screwing ATI systems? I have heard nothing but horror stories with the new 9.10 release! It's really sad that I used to have issues with ATI drivers about4 or 5 years ago, and the problems are still occuring nowadays. Nvidia just seemed to get theirs so right, and ATI has made progress, but no acceleration on 9.10 is not cool!
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

Yeah no clue actually. I got it installed no problem, but no compositing to speak of and absolutely no hardware 3D acceleration. I am definitely going to have to check out Sabayon. I have never had any problems with my Nvidia cards, but I have a laptop that has an ATI card in it that ALWAYS gives Linux fits. Its kinds been my testing ground for distros in the past. Probably not a very good idea considering I do 80% of my work on it..

Any advice for a newbie Sabayon user about to make the plunge?
    jro -

well, it's actually pretty easy. Most of the nice software is installed by default, as is the ATI and Nvidia drivers. My only annoyance is the downloading extra software, which took a long time using the default package manager. It downloaded about 700mb of software before I could even install simple bits of software like sylpheed (email client). System performance is nice, and it boots rather quickly. Give it a go, and see what you think!
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

Sabayon is based off Gentoo right? So it probably had to download all the sources for the app AND all the required libraries to compile against. They probably have it more figured out than that..

Songbird IS nice, but many times I feel like being a music manager is only half of its intended functionality. I think its more geared to music lovers that like to browse the audio blogs and snag the music or embedded audio clips. Its actually very adept at doing this, if you browse to a page that has a link to an audio file it recognizes it will actually give you the option to download any or all the files.
    jro -

Quote Originally Posted by jro View Post
    Sabayon is based off Gentoo right? So it probably had to download all the sources for the app AND all the required libraries to compile against. They probably have it more figured out than that..

Songbird IS nice, but many times I feel like being a music manager is only half of its intended functionality. I think its more geared to music lovers that like to browse the audio blogs and snag the music or embedded audio clips. Its actually very adept at doing this, if you browse to a page that has a link to an audio file it recognizes it will actually give you the option to download any or all the files.
    Yes, while it is based on Gentoo, it doesnt actually compile the software like Gentoo does, rather it downloads the binary versions of them (pre-compiled) from what I can tell. I managed to find out that once you select a package in the package manager, it seemed to check it for installation, even if you decide not to download it. I couldnt seem to remove it from the queue, or couldnt find anything on the software to show it had actually been checked. Weird!

I agree with Songbird, a great "hub". I like the built in Skreemr search application, and I love the podcasts and radio links. I think it is a little "bloaty" but they seem to have improved the performance a lot since it first was released. I have been using Songbird for years, ever since the pre Version 1 software was released, and I have always loved it. I also seem to have an affinity for Gecko based software
    My Website:

My Website Uptime:

There is something about the whole write once, run anywhere promise that really appeals to me. Of course the reality of the situation is different that the premise but its about 80% accurate. That is one of the reasons I like Java so much, sure it sort of slow, but the fact that I can write and compile a program and have it run relatively the same on three different platforms is really cool.

The Songbird development cycle always amused me. For two years they were predicting a 1.0 release would be within months. Then they would only release an incremental, I think they were at version 0.7 beta then suddenly jumped to 1.0. I woke up one morning and was like, what just happened? On the front end there was very little change from 0.7 to 1.0. Ah well, I guess I should be less concerned with version numbers and more with functionality and stability.
    jro -

yeah, I agree with everything said there. Java does seem slow, but it at least "works". The funny thing is that the only time I have ever had problems running a java app in on my iMac... which is weird because things are generally easier on it. Turns out because Apple does their own java libraries

Yeah, I must admit the jump in versions with Songbird was weird, from too slow to too fast
    My Website:

My Website Uptime: