Thread: RHEL is Free or not?

RHEL is Free or not?

Hi All,

Just want to know RHEL is free for use or not?

Harish

It's not free, you have to pay a license for support to use it. If you want a free version, try CentOS which is the same RedHat Enterprise code base with the proprietary parts removed.

It is free to use, but if you want updates you have to pay for maintenance. It is very trivial to convert RHEL to CentOS, or vice-versa.

Quote Originally Posted by hysterik View Post
    It is free to use, but if you want updates you have to pay for maintenance. It is very trivial to convert RHEL to CentOS, or vice-versa.
    Very true. Had RHEL with a support contract for a number of years, when I started correcting the Red Hat support engineers, I discontinued the contract. The support contract really didn't provide much "support", and it was expensive too. I like Ubuntu Server, but their support contract prices are off the charts! Better to just keep your skills sharp and practice by 'breaking' test systems. :-)
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

When RedHat started charging for updates I switched to CentOS and never looked back. Their user forum is great and you can use any package built for RHEL even binary only drivers.

Very True Redhat is free .But if you want periodically updates you have to take license copy .Without license copy they will not publish any updates

RHEL is far from free. There is a reason that RedHat altered the kernel, packages, and setup their way. From doing this, they get around the OSS licenses; allowing them to sell the product per se. The Fedora Project distribution is free, but if you read the fine print, it is only a dumbed down version of RHEL in beta; allowing them to have a plethora of free testers. By doing so, they can release their latest platform with the least amount of bugs.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness