Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2962
New to Linux here

Thread: New to Linux here

New to Linux here

Hi I am new to Linux and am looking to install it on my laptop. I have an AIX background.

I have been researching for the "right" solution for me.
    I was wondering a few things about SUSE and Fedora Ubuntu.These are the few I am considering. I am also considering RedHat but that's not free

How hard is it to get wireless/network working ? Security etc. I use WEP 128 on my network now. Can Linux accommodate this?

I have a Verizon wireless modem card. How would I get that to work. I looked on their site but did not see a Linux client for this device.

Is there some SW that works on Linux?

What about my IPOD. I see things for other MP3 players but not Apple ITunes. Or do I need to convert my files etc.

I also have a WinCE palm 700W phone that sync with my outlook. Is there a client that will work with Linux?

I would like to get off Windows but have to keep it around for various apps like the ones mentioned above. I will run dual boot for now unless I can find a viable solution to these apps.

Some other questions I have....

I have a network attached drive that has 2 usb drives off it. They are NTFS and FAT32 formats. Can they be seen by Linux? Also if I plug in a USB drive/stick will it be seen?

I use SD cards for my camera with a SD reader will that be an issue?

Sorry for so many questions just trying to figure this all out before I make the leap.

Thanx for any info you can share.

CJ

I'd go with either Ubuntu or Fedora / Centos.

Ubuntu has better support for ndiswrapper which is frequently used to get wireless networking functioning. WEP is supported, WPA will require the WPA supplicant add-on package.

The latest version of Open Office's Evolution email client, a clone for Microsoft Office, now works with Outlook / Exchange calendaring. This was a major reason for me not considering Linux on the desktop in the past.

There are a lot of Linux MP3 players.

USB sticks are auto detected and a link should automatically pop up on your desktop.

I'm not sure about the rest. Practice on a test system before going fully Linux.

Free Red HAt

Hello I am researching this topic my self. Red isn't free but an identical version is Centos and that is free. I think i might start using this

I accept with information:Ubuntu has better support for ndiswrapper which is frequently used to get wireless networking functioning. WEP is supported, WPA will require the WPA supplicant add-on package.

Ubuntu wireless works seamless out-of-the-box. @nhuakjra don't make it sound harder than it is, it used to be the case that getting wireless working required installing all the requisite packages but anymore this SHOULD be done for you by any modern distro. Sabayon, Ubuntu and CentoOS do a great job with wireless drivers. I have put quite a number of distros on my Dell Latitude D810 and wireless has never been an issue.

The only place I have actually had to manually install wireless drivers was when I added a PCI wireless card to my desktop after the initial OS install. It was relatively straightforward and a simple Google search turned up step by step instructions for getting it going.
    jro - http://jeff.robbins.ws
    Linux counter#:213782
    GnuPG ID: 406238E7

I agree with the Ubuntu suggestion! 3 or 4 years ago, the word "wireless" and "usb drive" used to drive shivers up my neck when it came to Linux. Nowadays, these problems are seriously non existant. My only problems that I have encountered with wireless connections seems to be Fedora, but I must admit, Fedora seems to feel like it is 3 or 4 years old still. Ubuntu just makes it work, and it has a very simple and nice installation method for software. If you want a more "out of the box" feel (eg: MP3, flash, java, dvd playback,etc) distro, I would go for Linux Mint, which is a nice Ubuntu derivative. It provides you all of this from the very install, and it is 100% compatible with Ubuntu repositories!
    My Website: http://ttgale.com
    My Website Uptime: http://img.uptimeprj.com/holastickbo...dee9bae2e2.png
    My Server Specs: AMD Athlon X2 3800+, 2gb DDR2 RAM, 1.5TB HDD, Ubuntu 9.10
    My Gaming PC: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93ghz, 4gb DDR2 RAM, 9800GTX+

The Best OS for ur Laptop isi PinguyOS It had all your need and for tutors and Documentation see linuxcomand.org (Linux CLI basics), tldp.org (LINUX HOWTO and Guidence Docs), http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz (Full Doc for Basic, shell script, Programming, Linux Network configuration and Server configuration like NFS, SAMBA, DHCP, DNS, FTP and more).

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com[/url]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]