Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Help with compile errors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with compile errors

Help with compile errors

Howdy one and all. It's been a long time since I posted (or lurked) here. But, I kept receiving the quarterly (monthly?) updates in my email. I have a small issues I've been working on, and when I got the note yesterday, I thought "here's a new avenue...." When I logged in today, the software said that I was last logged in back in 2006 sometime. Wow.

Anyway, I've finished taking the SANS Security 504 class (as I do a lot of incident response.) I was able to do almost everything in the class from my Ubuntu (7.0.4) laptop, even though they recommend Red Hat. There's only a few tools I couldn't find from the repositories. One in particular, Hydan, I had to download, and compile manually. No big deal, though the compilation threw a bunch of errors. I don't know a lot about the errors, and I was hoping someone might know better where the problem lies. Is it Ubuntu? Something else? Easily fixed?

After downloading, I unzipped the tarball. From there, I just followed the directions in the README, and ran make in the directory. Here are the errors that were output:

Code:
    cd libdisasm/src/arch/i386/libdisasm && make libdisasm
    make[1]: Entering directory `/test/hydan/libdisasm/src/arch/i386/libdisasm'
    gcc -I.  -O3 -ggdb   -c -o libdis.o libdis.c
    gcc -I.  -O3 -ggdb   -c -o i386_invariant.o i386_invariant.c
    i386_invariant.c: In function ‘disasm_invariant_modrm’:
    i386_invariant.c:45: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘memset’
    i386_invariant.c:52: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘memset’
    i386_invariant.c:55: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘memset’
    i386_invariant.c: In function ‘disasm_invariant_decode’:
    i386_invariant.c:155: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘memset’
    i386_invariant.c:165: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘memcpy’
    i386_invariant.c: In function ‘disasm_invariant’:
    i386_invariant.c:233: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘memcpy’
    gcc -I.  -O3 -ggdb   -c -o vm.o vm.c
    vm.c: In function ‘vm_add_regtbl_entry’:
    vm.c:17: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘strncpy’
    gcc -I.  -O3 -ggdb   -c -o bastard.o bastard.c
    bastard.c: In function ‘addrexp_get’:
    bastard.c:22: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘memcpy’
    bastard.c: In function ‘addrexp_new’:
    bastard.c:40: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘calloc’
    gcc -I.  -O3 -ggdb   -c -o i386.o i386.c
    # make .a
    ar rc libdisasm.a libdis.o i386_invariant.o vm.o bastard.o i386.o
    ranlib libdisasm.a
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/test/hydan/libdisasm/src/arch/i386/libdisasm'
    gcc -Wall -Ilibdisasm/src/arch/i386/libdisasm -g  -DVARBITS    -c -o hdn_common.o hdn_common.c
    In file included from hdn_common.h:12,
                     from hdn_common.c:9:
    hydan.h:24:25: error: openssl/evp.h: No such file or directory
    hdn_common.c: In function ‘hdn_disassemble_all’:
    hdn_common.c:32: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
    hdn_common.c:37: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘x86_disasm’ differ in signedness
    make: *** [hdn_common.o] Error 1
    So, if anyone sees anything I might try, let me know. I'd love to get Hydan working.
    There is always hope.

Associate
    Forget about the warnings: they don't inspire much confidence in the software, but they shouldn't stop it compiling. You've only got one error:

In file included from hdn_common.h:12,
    from hdn_common.c:9:
    hydan.h:24:25: error: openssl/evp.h: No such file or directory

Either you're missing a file, or the source code has got the name wrong. The latter is more likely, so see if there's any name like the one gcc can't find.

I'd say try installing / verifying your openssl installation. If you have an rpm distro, make sure openssl-devel is installed. Otherwise, download the source from http://www.openssl.org/source/, it compiles pretty easily and quickly.

Let us know if that works for you...
    63,000 bugs in the code, 63,000 bugs,
    ya get 1 whacked with a service pack,
    now there's 63,005 bugs in the code!!

I had openssl installed. It looks like I needed to install libcurl3-openssl-dev.
    After install that, I got a successful compilation.

Now, I'm getting an "error allocating memory" while trying to decode a hydan-encrypted file. I have some more analysis to do.

But, muchos thanks for the openssl pointer.
    There is always hope.

Can you post the exact error message?

Also, right after trying the command, run dmesg and look for something interesting at the end of the output.

You might also find some more information in /var/log/messages

Hope this helps!

Sure, here's the message.

after entering the password for the file, Hydan chugs along for a bit, and returns:

Code:
    hdn_crypto_decrypt: Error allocating memory for duplicating decryption. Requested -77012715 bytes.
    I'll take a look at the logs and check dmesg when I'm back on my laptop.
    There is always hope.

Hmpf.... 'requested -77012715 bytes'

Sounds a bit like overflow to me...

Run 'top' in another window while you're running hydan, does your memory usage get high? How about swap? (Maybe there's a memory leak in the code?)

Success to report

I got Hydan working. Here's what I did:
    I went and found the prior version of Hydan (0.10) and compiled.
    It compiled with some warnings, but created the executable.
    I was able to run my steg-enabled file through Hydan and retrieve the message.

So, what I'm not sure about is:
    a) Is there a problem with the new version of Hydan and Ubuntu?
    b) Can my steg-enabled file only be de-crypted with a particular version of Hydan?

(Bear in mind, I'm thinking out loud, regarding those two questions. I'll have to do some further analysis.)

Thanks for you help.
    There is always hope.

FreeBSD had such an issue, where when you had too much memory allocated for the system, that it would rollback your memory into the negatives, due to the 64-bit support that fell into the code. Looking at that error, it's really asking for way too much to begin with.

A few questions. Are you using the 64-bit version? What version of Ubuntu are you using? How much RAM do you have? Are you using a SMP kernel?

I can't think of anything else right now, and probably what I posted is worthless knowing I need to get some sleep. Hope it helps anyways.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kernel_Killer View Post
    A few questions. Are you using the 64-bit version?
    Nope

What version of Ubuntu are you using?

How much RAM do you have?
    I'm pretty sure 256MB. (Not at the laptop at the moment, I'll have to check later)

Are you using a SMP kernel?
    I'm not sure. I plead ignorance on what a SMP kernel is. The install was standard, right off the live cdrom.
    There is always hope.