Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Old laptop need a linux distro

Thread: Old laptop need a linux distro

Question Old laptop need a linux distro

I have an old laptop, and here are it's specifications:
    CPU: 200MHz Intel Pentium w/MMX
    RAM: system: 640K
    extended: 97M

I just don't know what does system and extended mean...
    So I very need a distro for this laptop, please help me, and tell what could be the best...
    (sorry for my english)
    Last edited by Valenstein; 10-21-2007 at 10:39 AM. Reason: enable email notification

You can get your hands on a distribution that comes as a live cd or dvd. Try it and if it is running good directly from cd than it will definatly run good when installed. your options include ubuntu, knoppix, morphix etc

Quote Originally Posted by Valenstein View Post

I just don't know what does system and extended mean...
    So I very need a distro for this laptop, please help me, and tell what could be the best...
    (sorry for my english)

Various diros at

http://mirrors.kernel.org/

(Try to install only text mode and without x windows)
    LASANTHA

Hi

Give a try on puppy linux

Associate

old laptop needs small system

I had a PIII 333MHz with 64 MB RAM and I could install debian sarge 3.1, I'm pretty sure you could run it. Debian isn't loaded with unnecessary packages, and doesn't take a lot of space, even the last version etch that I'm running on a Thinkpad T40 is only taking:
    eniz@thinkdebian:~$ df -h
    Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/hda3 5.1G 753M 4.1G 16% /
    tmpfs 253M 0 253M 0% /lib/init/rw
    udev 10M 100K 10M 1% /dev
    tmpfs 253M 0 253M 0% /dev/shm
    /dev/hda2 649M 35M 582M 6% /boot
    /dev/hda6 5.5G 141M 5.1G 3% /shared
    /dev/hda5 5.1G 1.8G 3.1G 37% /usr

less than 2 GB (but I've downloaded a few more packages since I installed)
    the only problem is that you may find yourself without the Xwindow, and working on the console when you start may be daunting.
    you'll need a book to learn to use the console/terminal. It's fun anyway.
    then one day you may be able to upgrade to a laptop which allows you to run a more recent system with the graphic this time.
    to download debian sarge:
    http://www.us.debian.org/releases/sa...ian-installer/
    there maybe a page to your country site.
    for the distros, take a look to http://distrowatch.com/
    or if you have a Windows system more recent you could install linux in dual-boot, that's the best option.
    Last edited by debianfoo; 11-19-2007 at 07:53 PM. Reason: link to distrowatch

I suggest Damn Small Linux. You will find all the details of that and other distros on http://distrowatch.com/ where you can also do a search for distros meeting criteria of your choice.
    Please help build
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to everyone!

Another possibility is TinyMe.
    Please help build