Thread: MBR modified by failed schillix installation

Associate

MBR modified by failed schillix installation

I thought I would try to get some help in this part of the forum.

2 HD
    debian /boot is on hd0,0 or hda,1 and multi-boots the other systems installed on both hd0 and hd1

I failed to install schillix, and had chosen to dual-boot schillix and debian in schillix installation menu.
    Schillix never started, but has modified the MBR and each time I boot the system it presents me with a black screen and 5 options from F1 (default) to F5, all for linux.
    only F1 leads me to the debian multi-boot menu from where only debian now boots.
    what schillix has done is moving partitions numbers, (except the debian one, as I chose debian to dual-boot).

I noticed once I could start fedora from the debian menu, but fedora wouldn't see the /Data (a partition I mount for each system to share) on it's real /dev/hdc8 but as /dev/hdd (showing the contents of previous view of cd-rom)... now fedora won't start anyway.

I am not concerned about the other systems, I can always repair or reinstall, what I'd like to do is boot without getting that pre-boot black screen with options F1-F5,
    In clear I'd like to get rid of that schillix aborted bootloader.
    I thought you freeBSD users might know.

I thank you for your time.

Associate
    I'm not a debian user, but I know you can boot debian w/ GRUB and if you install it, I'm thinking you can make a debian boot floppy? Do that and save it. Then you can use command 'grub-instsall' from the grub command line and re-write your debian boot to the mbr, or while booting w/ the floppy you can use commands to edit yr boot menu and maybe recuperate some of what you lost. At least you won't have a black screen w/ F1...etc.

Long way around, especially if yr not familiar w/ grub, but maybe worth it.

Associate
    Quote Originally Posted by lynnevan View Post
    I'm not a debian user, but I know you can boot debian w/ GRUB and if you install it, ...Long way around, especially if yr not familiar w/ grub, but maybe worth it.
    Thank you for answering my query, I haven't been visiting the forum for quite a long time and have just seen your post.

I haven't sorted the problem out yet. I have debian /boot on a separate part which is untouched, and have installed suse since with it's grub on the MBR.

I had tried to rescue with debian cd, but no rescue menu would allow me to point to my /boot partition, and I don't want to rewrite it with previous kernel.. so I'll see.

Thank you very much for your time.

Angry

Download the GAG floppy boot loader, bypass the MBR, and reinstall the mbr from inside Debian.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Screaming Electron, Full of BSD Goodness