Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

New iMac owner :D

Thread: New iMac owner :D

Good Guru

New iMac owner :D

Picked one up last week when the new models were rolled out

Pretty nice system. I have been using a 2.0 Ghz Core 1 Duo MacBook for over a year now. And being a VM guy, playing with VMWare and Parallels. Man, VMWare rocks on this Core2Duo chip! My FC7 Athlon single core is a slow snail in comparison!

I hee-hawed on getting this or the Ubuntu Dell tower. I went for this for 2 reasons:

1) I could get it that day (yes I am impatient, but 3-5 weeks is too long for me)

2) The smaller formfactor. Now I can use a video capture card and a vga-rca converter to work on a spare machine and not need a second monitor, or spare space for another tower. Plus even without that, the lessened desktop space is nice.

3) ApplePorts Kernel Killer has been shooting me some awesome ideas on what software to use since I got my MacBook (thanks dude). He told me about DarwinPorts, which seemingly is now ApplePorts (thanks TWAT ep:266 http://www.twatech.org/show.php?ep=266)

4) Better multimedia creation tools. Sorry but as bad as I thought Windows was with media creation, Linux is worse off. Wish I could code so I could help and had the time to do so. But .....

Either way, cool units. Keyboards are sweet. And dunno why people hate the Mighty mouse so much. Not the greatest mouse, but not bad nonetheless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Smile

May your iMac and you enjoy many happy days together!

Good Guru
    Thanks.

Still like linux though As good as OSX is, GNOME and the Linux way is still superior. I just wanted a good system that day that met several criteria. If worse came to worse, I could have wiped a Sony or HP and load RHEL or Fedora on it, but why pay the MS tax for nothing? At least OSX pleases me rather than incessantly pissing the crap out of me like Vista.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FC6 works nice on it btw.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

Well, I'm completely OS X at home now. Bought an iMac as well, and a MBP. using Vista on the iMac for my games (when I actually play), and everything else on the OS X partition. Parallels has proven itself worthy to me, running XP Pro for the applications I have to develop for Win32 (Steam works on it pretty well also). On top of that, it also does the job in running OpenBSD to build my Soekris images to the flash card. Ever since the whole Flash and Java support went out the window for Linux and BSD, I ditched them as a desktop (All my servers are still Debian or FreeBSD 7.0 though).

Still, there are a few things that haven't been migrated to Leopard though. Various applications crash, or don't work at all because of the changes. Even the Darwinports installer seems to be pretty messed up. Of course, I was able to find various Objective-C applications that ended up working out better than what I was going to install from Darwinports.

Good Guru
    I am moving away from OSX, but I still have OSX on my MacBook. I was using paralells, but moved to vmware fusion and that was pretty nice. Sick of the lack of true cross platform vm support of parallels. Their linux version is ancient and incompatible, windows was iffy at best.

Just tired of Leopard. Its not working well on anything I own. Tiger has too many limitations that the FLOSS world does not have. Nice hardware, OSX although nice, its just too reminiscent of Paris Hilton -- too much fluff, little meat.

can you elaborate? I've found so much more I could do with OS X, than I could in Linux as a whole. What sort of issues were you having with Leopard, and are you still using 10.5.1, because that was a steaming pile.

As for parallels, what issues were you having? Just for fun, I installed FC8 in a guest system, but of course, coherence doesn't work. Aside from that, everything else worked great. It's been great to me, but I'm guessing you had some specific issues I haven't run across. Also, are you, or were you using the latest greatest version?

Good Guru
    well as for parallels --vmware is just better. Faster, better cross platform options, and better management tools (as expected for a 10 yro product.)

As for issues with OSS, my biggest issue is with cross platform options that actally work. Openoffice and Gimp are the two worst offenders. What is fine on Win and Lin sucks badly on OSX. As much as I would like to use X11 more, it still has issues integrating properly.

For now what i am doing is using a vm for linux and windows on my MacBook and Linux on everything else. This way I can still do what I need to with the least pain and time waste. Vmware offers full crossplatform usage of the same vm package where parallels an virtualbox still lag (to varyng degrees.)