Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

my new FreeBSD tutorial/wiki

Thread: my new FreeBSD tutorial/wiki

Smile my new FreeBSD tutorial/wiki

because i have wasted endless time
    figuring out and researching why i couldnt get FreeBSD going the way i wanted it
    [kde, Firefox, etc] i wrote this to hopefully save others this hassle.
    http://www.openfree.org/pet/index.ph...ng_FreeBSD_6.2
    some guys have all the luck, some guys get all the fame,
    some guys get all the breaks, some guys they do nothing but complain.-----Rod Stewart

This is one of the main reasons why I like live CDs with installer, they are usually quick and easy to install.

Live CD (FreeBSD) with installer that I know of, TrueBSD, Frenzy and Freesbie old version (FreeBSD 5.5), not the latest Freesbie (version 2) it dropped the HD installer.

What USB keyboards and mice are you having troubles with? I've seen a Logitech G15 keyboard, and a MX1000 be picked up on a fresh install no issues, and before even compiling a custom kernel. I guess it depends if you are trying to use the XFree mouse driver, or the FBSD mouse daemon, which picks up just about anything.

You can always add that ~/.xinitrc controls what desktop environment you start with, when using startx. Also, don't forget, even though FBSD doesn't install it X by default, KDM, XDM, and GDM are there. You can make a FBSD system boot up to a flashy graphical login screen, that way no one has to mess with the CLI.

I know a lot of people have had issues installing FBSD without some sort of background, but I think the main issue I've seen was disk slices/partitions. Of course, PC-BSD has completely eliminated the need for any knowledge of installing FBSD.

Good tips for the first user, and getting them started.
    arrogance breeds ignorance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.