Thread: User Access to the Internet

Hybrid View

Kind Mastermind

User Access to the Internet

I've done a little bit of googling for this, but can't seem to find the either the answer or the correct question to ask so that I can get the right answer. So, I will do so here (please excuse me if the question is stupid...I'm tired, confused, and a little bit torqued right now).

I have a cable modem connection to the internet. I am running a stock Slackware 10 setup. I have eth0 connected to the cable modem. Everything runs fine for me when I run as root. Now, how do I give one of my non-priveleged user accounts access to the internet? Is it a permissions problem with eth0 or something else entirely? If it is a permissions issue, what should I type to set permissions for my stryder144 account to access the internet? I don't want to run as root (for obvious reasons), but find it more appealing than rebooting constantly to WinXP. Any help that y'all can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Good Guru

Re:User Access to the Internet

what groups is the non root user in?

That's weird. I am running slack 10 and running as a regular user, and I can access the net fine.
    Do you have any firewall or anything running?
    Also, are you bringing eth0 up on boot?

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=trickster link=board=4;threadid=9591;start=0#msg87254 date=1091012198]
    That's weird. I am running slack 10 and running as a regular user, and I can access the net fine.
    [/quote]

Yes, it comes up. Whenever I log in as root I have internet access, just not as a regular user. There are no firewalls that might stop it from running under a non-root account. I am thinking that I must dig deeper.

Did you set your regular user account up to access the internet or did was it automatically set up? I don't have any groups set up, so maybe I should attack the problem from that angle.

Cheers

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=4;threadid=9591;start=0#msg87271 date=1091027188]
    [quote author=trickster link=board=4;threadid=9591;start=0#msg87254 date=1091012198]
    [/quote]

Yes, it comes up. Whenever I log in as root I have internet access, just not as a regular user. There are no firewalls that might stop it from running under a non-root account. I am thinking that I must dig deeper.

Did you set your regular user account up to access the internet or did was it automatically set up? I don't have any groups set up, so maybe I should attack the problem from that angle.

Cheers
    [/quote]
    It worked out of the box.
    Seems you are having some weird issues with your box. Perhaps reinstalling is not such a bad idea.

Good Guru

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=4;threadid=9591;start=0#msg87271 date=1091027188]
    Did you set your regular user account up to access the internet or did was it automatically set up?
    [/quote]
    I would agree with Trickster to have it re-installed ( if it's newly installed system ) since something screwy is happening.

There is no need for you to set up users to have Internet access since it is done automagically done whenever your system gets its IP. Even with the firewall, you can't discriminate which user gets access and which one don't. It's either all or nothing. So if you can get with root user, then you can get with normal user accounts. Group memberships also play no role in this.

Good Guru

For shits and giggles, if you havent reinstalled, how about creating a new user and trying that one. Perhaps something is just fubar with that one user you made for yourself.

Just an idea.

Another solution if you hate reinstalling - if you get IP automatically I guess you get it from the ISP dhcp. You can actually do anither set up (the one I run at home).....You should configure PPoE on the cable modem itself and assign static IP to your LInux box from the same private range your modem has and point default gateway and DNS to the cable modem box.
    This was your box will always be on and all you have to do is to boot up your box and make sure it gets statically assigned ip on boot