Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tri Boot Windows/Fedora/SuSE... possible? Bad idea?

Tri Boot Windows/Fedora/SuSE... possible? Bad idea?

Ok, so thanks to Lovechild, I'm sitting on a copy of SuSE 9 that, up until a week ago, I was dying to install. Since then, I've gotten Fedora Core pretty much configured to where I can use most of my add-on hardware. I want to mess around with SuSE, but I don't want to start all over again... getting programs setup, installed, RMPs, Synaptic, getting hardware to function... So, I'm thinking of adding another patition and putting SuSE on to check it out.

Here are the dilemas:

a) can I partition on the fly and add a third OS without losing the existing ones?
    2) How is SuSE 9, in terms of out-of-the-box, at handling USB devices, modems, hardware configurations, etc.
    iii) How is SuSE in terms of a loser like me being able to download and install programs.. no help with RPMs, i.e. Synaptic, yum, etc... right?

and Forth) If I give SuSE a small partition, say 3 gig, can I increase that someday if I decide I like it and want to commit more of my hard drive space to that OS?

Gosh... I'm all torn up inside. Here I sit and look at these disks so graciously provided to me by my overseas friend, and all I can do is opine over whether or not I should give it a crack... I don't want to start at the beginning... I've come so far!!!!!! :-[

As always, thanks in advance for your valuable input!

Peace.

John

Re:Tri Boot Windows/Fedora/SuSE... possible? Bad idea?

you will notice that I included the Linux Mandrake 9.2 Powerpack download edition as well - which includes closed source stuff like the nvidia drivers.

Yea, I did notice. So what do you suggest about the boot dilema. I don't want to sit on these CDs forever. I really want to give them a try. Any ideas?

(BTW, you sure raze hairs around here don't you? )

if you like Fedora go with it, it's not worth it to have two Linux installs IMHO but you could try SuSE on a seperate partition just to see if you like that better.

I just noticed that I mailed you my original copy, I was so sure I had copied it... man do I feel stupid now. Ah well, I didn't really like SuSE9 anyways.

There is a tool called Parted, that allows you to resize your partitions. By doing that, you can just repartition your drive and install whatever you want.

Lovechild, would you like me to copy it and send it back?
    ------------------

I have Partition Magic in Windows.. that's what I used to initially partition my hard drive for Linux. Are you saying it would be foolish to add a third partition for SuSE? Could I boot to any one of the three OSs if I did try?

I also have Boot Magic for windows....

[quote author=Linux Looser link=board=7;threadid=8658;start=0#msg78182 date=1076108883]
    Lovechild, would you like me to copy it and send it back?
    ------------------

I have Partition Magic in Windows.. that's what I used to initially partition my hard drive for Linux. Are you saying it would be foolish to add a third partition for SuSE? Could I boot to any one of the three OSs if I did try?

I also have Boot Magic for windows....

[/quote]

Nah, thanks but no thanks.

I plug this a lot because it's a great tool:
    www.sysresccd.org
    type run_qtparted after booting off the cd, it gives you qt_parted, a GUI frontend to parted that strongly resembles PM.

OK, booting off of what CD? The CD for the New OS I plan to install? Are there instructions for using the tool on the website?

That site has an ISO of the cd, the tool itself is the cd you boot off of.