Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your FAV printer for Linux

What's your FAV printer for Linux

Here's the story - I just threw my Lexmark Z55 piece of crap printer out the window after six months of paper missfeeds.

I find that most printers are rather poor quality in the paper handelling department, and now I have a new requirement - a printer that works well with Linux.

I would love to hear from people who could suggest to me a printer that works well with Linux and feeds paper as well ;D

I am after a laser and a colour BJ.

Regards,

Dwain.

Re:What's your FAV printer for Linux

For linux, you wawnt to go wither with Epson or HP. I have an HP 5150 and it works great.

Tale a look here:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html

Good Guru

If Laser, then you have much choices. Mine is HP Deskjet 622Cse for my Debian desktop and it works well. My server box has HP LaserJet 4L and it works good too.

HP confuses me, they develop tons of linux stuff, but most of their printers do not ship with linux drivers...

Well I have sort of answered my own question now - Firstly I purchased a Brother Laser that touted it's Linux compatability only to find that it had the wrong drivers shipped with it. A call to Brother Australia confirmed this but they were of no help.

After a couple of days trying to get it to work with drivers suggested by linuxprinters.org, I gave up, returned it and bought an Epson. It worked first time , and appears to be a good printer so far.

Regards,

Dwain.

Good Guru

[quote author=countach44 link=board=3;threadid=8368;start=0#msg76314 date=1073189743]
    HP confuses me, they develop tons of linux stuff, but most of their printers do not ship with linux drivers...
    [/quote]
    Two reasons;

1. Linux drivers develop fast with every different kernel.

2. Support issue. Since there were many different versions of Linux,, it's virtually impossible to support all Linux.

I use an HP Laserjet 2100, which works very well.

What is my favorite printer. To me, it is any printer which will work with the current OS that I am using.

Right now, I have an HP 5110 ALL-IN-ONE, which seems to be delivering as expected in both Win** and Linux.

ONEderer

In answer to my own question now for the benefit of anyone else who might have the same question :-

I purchased a Brother laser printer and tried it with windoze and Linux. The brother was poor in the paper feeding area compared with the HP's at work. Although it was supposed to support Linux it didn't, so an all round poor as far as the product went, but a 10/10 as far as their customer support and responsiveness to my emain enquiries went.

Thereafter my fiance purchased a garden variety Epson Stylus C61 bubblejet which is 10/10 in all respects - it just works fine with windoze and Linux on a variety of paper types and cartridges are cheap.

When I next need a printer it will be an Epson for sure.

Regards,

Dwain.

Epson has long be reputed for making the best Linux compatible printers, I have the Stylus C61 I think. Dunno about lasers though.