Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linksys

Linksys

i got a question, i just got a linksys router up and running, it gives ip addresses to the 2 windows pcs, and my ibook, it also gives an ip to my linuxbox but the linux box wont get to any websites. is there anything that i need to set? it grabs the ip via dhcp.

Re:Linksys

try static instead. Make sure your default route is set correctly also. You can check by typing 'route'.

It should be "*" to "192.168.1.1" (If you didn't change the router's IP). If you need to set it do:

route delete default
    route add default gw 192.168.1.1

Also, make sure your DNS servers are specified in /etc/resolv.conf correctly.

the dns servers are right in resolv.conf

i also had 192.168.1.1 in the 'route' default

still nothing

Can you ping the router? Can you ping your ISP's DNS servers? Are you using more than one NIC in the Linux box? If so is the route set to that NIC?

Also, could you post your ifconfig from the interface you want to use for the Linux box?

Not sure about this..but I think if you run DSL then you should also make sure your PPoE client is up and running as well.

Good Guru

check your gateway. I setup a DHCP server on a RH9 box to propogate the gateway along with the IP and DNS, but the commercial gateways dont do that always.

Not sure about this..but I think if you run DSL then you should also make sure your PPoE client is up and running as well.
    That is needed if the box is the one taking care of the PPPoE connection. His router is taking care of whatever connection he has. Don't forget he said that the Linux box is the one that can't get HTTP. I assume the rest are work just fine.

Good Guru

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=4;threadid=8367;start=0#msg75909 date=1072562727]
    check your gateway.
    [/quote] I will second that.

#1 i have a cable modem, hooked into the uplink/internet port

then my 2 windows boxen and ibook are plugged into the next 3 ports, and i plug the linuxbox into the last port, all 4 get ips, but only 3 get on the net, all but the linuxbox, which got on the net fine when it was on the switch with its own IP from my cable ISP, instead its got a network ip of 192.168.1.xxx like the rest of the pcs. and i only have 1 nic on the linux box.

i ping the router at 192.168.1.1 and get that destination port unreachable. right now nothing is setup as a gateway, just the cable modem hooked up to the uplink and the rest of the pcs hooked into the router grabbing 192.168.1.xxx ips, linux grabs it but doesnt get net from it.

Good Guru

Well another thought, is to check that your residential gateway unit is properly set to allow its maximum amount of DHCP leases. My old Netgear had support for 32, and could be tweaked to allow whatever range I wanted. See if for some reason that it isnt set to only allow a few leases.

Plus show us your results of ipconfig for that adapter. That may clear up quite a bit.