Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Wired magazine Wi-Fi question

Thread: Wired magazine Wi-Fi question

Wired magazine Wi-Fi question

I read in the latest issue of Wired magazine their one-page article on wiring your house. Looks pretty simple.

Cable or DSL Modem
    |
    Cables
    |
    Router
    |
    Switch
    |
    Wireless access Points

I can follow that.
    My question is, after my DSL modem, sits my linux server, that serves as my one of my main machines; but also does firewalling and NAT. My question is, using Wired's diagram, where would I drop the servre in? In place of the router?

Currently, after my DSL modem, sits the linux server, followed by a hub. Every workstation gets plugged into the hub.

For those of you who want to look it up, the article is on page 16 of the Wireless Home insert.

Thanks for any advice.

Re:Wired magazine Wi-Fi question

I'm kinda slow, I don't quite get your question, can you please restate it...

[quote author=gjansky link=board=4;threadid=8359;start=0#msg75848 date=1072482238]
    I read in the latest issue of Wired magazine their one-page article on wiring your house. Looks pretty simple.

Cable or DSL Modem
    |
    Cables
    |
    Router
    |
    Switch
    |
    Wireless access Points

I can follow that.
    My question is, after my DSL modem, sits my linux server, that serves as my one of my main machines; but also does firewalling and NAT. My question is, using Wired's diagram, where would I drop the servre in? In place of the router?

Currently, after my DSL modem, sits the linux server, followed by a hub. Every workstation gets plugged into the hub.

For those of you who want to look it up, the article is on page 16 of the Wireless Home insert.

Thanks for any advice.
    [/quote]

If your computer is attached to the modem, and then the hub is attached to your computer, your computer is acting a s a switch and router. You'd plug in the AP on one of the hub's jacks.

Thanks Trickster. That's kind of what I expected.
    You have my architecture correct.

Good Guru

[quote author=gjansky link=board=4;threadid=8359;start=0#msg75848 date=1072482238]
    My question is, using Wired's diagram, where would I drop the servre in? In place of the router?
    [/quote]
    That's correct.

[quote author=trickster link=board=4;threadid=8359;start=0#msg75859 date=1072488708]
    your computer is acting a s a switch and router.
    [/quote]
    It's rather gateway/router. Linux do not act as a switch. Switch is a hardware product ( with the exception of managed switches ).

Thanks for all of the replys.

I've been looking at wireless access points. All of them come with a cd. What's the cd for? And since my server's a linux machine, are the cds even made for linux?

(I'll probably be getting a wap as a belated Christmas gift, and I just want to make sure I don't waste any money.)

Thanks.

[quote author=gjansky link=board=4;threadid=8359;start=0#msg76135 date=1072979470]
    I've been looking at wireless access points. All of them come with a cd. What's the cd for? And since my server's a linux machine, are the cds even made for linux?
    [/quote]

Most likely the CD has crap on it, you don't need it. Most APs are configurable via web (http://IPOFACCESSPOINT) and therefor no client software is needed.