Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I LOVE MICROSOFT !!!

Mentor

Re:I LOVE MICROSOFT !!!

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=17;threadid=8323;start=#msg75560 date=1071798781]
    Now why can't people accept that .NET is a good tool? I mean, MS has REALLY outdone themselves on this one. This has got to be the first time in their history that they've shown real innovation and creativity to bring something beautiful to computing. I'm still waiting for them to fumble (it's coming...don't worry!), but for the time being I think .NET is the cat's meow!
    [/quote]

I now very little about .NET. My question is, does it support open standards? If yes, it is probably a great tool as you stated. If not, it sucks major ass, no matter what features it has.

it's expensive, isn't it? (.NET)

C# is an open standard, languages like java actually aren't.

.NET is portable, it runs on Windows, Linux and FreeBSD (thanks to mono and dotgnu), there are open IDEs for Windows (none for Linux so far sadly).

You DO NOT have to run Windows to run or program C# using .NET - I do so on my Linux box.

.NET is an exellent tool, by far one of the best things out of Microsoft.

.NET is free - the Windows version is downable, no source - with mono and dotgnu you get the source under various Open Source licenses.

Mono uses many open standards to do it's GUI bits fx. plus there's GTK# (really GNOME.NET). QT# is also available but it's dying do to lack of maintainership and drive.

I have yet to see a specific .NET exploit (I don't doubt it's possible though - everything is open to attacks), it has exellent design - Microsoft despite it's reputation does concern themselves with security - the coding security course the programmers were given are really paying off, they are really doing this - trust me. Just look at the changelog for WinXP SP2 - it has tons and tons of preventive security enhancements like enabling a firewall per default (only Lindows and RH/Fedora does this on Linux to my knowledge), stack protective meassures are taken in their compiler (like IBM's propolice patch for GCC) and to my knowledge they are compiling every single application with that enabled starting with SP2 (not sure about the 100% enforcement date - but it's happening), only OpenBSD and Immuntix (none free Linux distro based on RH) does something similar.

And yes the latest Tony Hawk should be available for XBOX, you can always check with ebgames.com for the latest titles and value offers.

Give them a year and exploits will be common place.

and dotgnu and mono, arnt they not m$ related, almost like openoffice vs m$ office?

[quote author=TeRG link=board=17;threadid=8323;start=0#msg75573 date=1071804799]
    and dotgnu and mono, arnt they not m$ related, almost like openoffice vs m$ office?
    [/quote]

Yes and no. MS didn't invent the spreadsheet, or the word processor. Office is simply an implementation of those tools, as is OOo. Two different approaches to the same problem. MS did however invent .NET, and Mono aims to be 99% compatible. This would be similar to someone writing "Excel for Linux," with just about everything identical, right down to the menu structure. The only difference is that MS can't send a C&D letter, as the parts of .NET that Mono is implementing have been submitted to standards bodies.

To anyone out there who programs, I highly encourage you to go grab mono from http://www.go-mono.org/ . Easy to set up, easy to use, easy to like.

Oh and
    1) Free
    2) Not seeing anything yet
    3) http://www.go-mono.org/ http://www.dotgnu.org/ . Not sure about dotGNU as I don't really follow it, but mono works on Linux/x86, Linux/PPC, S390, StrongARM, SPARC, HPPA, SPARC v9. Last I heard the OSX port was developing quite nicely.
    4) I've been using .NET for almost a year now, quite heavily in the last 4 months for work, and I haven't booted into windows since 2002.
    5) See 4)

Keep in mind folks that there's nothing to be gained from blind zealotry.

Anyway, that said and my pitch made, back to the topic again My fav console ever would have to be the original Nofriendo Entertainment System. Man me and my roommate wasted an entire summer getting high and having people over to play ice hockey (two fatties, a medium, and a skinny...those who have played the game know what I'm talking about ). Those were good times my friends...goooooood times

ah..but .NET itself isnt portable, you have to use one of the alternatives.

and .NET isnt popular enough for any insecurities to be found this quickly, give it time

there are a lot of ways you can look at it, maybe .NET is handy, but over time, i imagine the alternatives mentioned above will be better..and on another note, when I say .NET, i mean microsoft's .net..the other two might be portable, but they are /not/ microsoft .NET. microsoft .NET is NOT portatble.

[quote author=TeRG link=board=17;threadid=8323;start=0#msg75576 date=1071810318]
    ah..but .NET itself isnt portable, you have to use one of the alternatives.

and .NET isnt popular enough for any insecurities to be found this quickly, give it time

there are a lot of ways you can look at it, maybe .NET is handy, but over time, i imagine the alternatives mentioned above will be better..and on another note, when I say .NET, i mean microsoft's .net..the other two might be portable, but they are /not/ microsoft .NET. microsoft .NET is NOT portatble.
    [/quote]

Well I suppose the topic of this thread is MS-related, not just XBox, so I guess I can continue guilt-free

If you mean Microsoft's implementation of .NET, then yes you do raise some potentially valid points. I'm really not sure what the licensing issues are, but if it only runs on Windows you can bet you'll already be paying big time.

In my posts I was talking about the .NET technology. Microsoft invented .NET, and then later implemented a platform based on that design. Mono is looking at that design, and implementing another platform. It's kind of like the way cell phones use GSM networks. The network is there...the phone companies just have to implement the code that uses the network. Now if I tell you Nokia phones suck and have serious cost issues (which I am in no way saying), that says nothing about the overlaying GSM specification, nor does it say anything about Sony-Ericsson phones that also implement this specification.

Kind Mastermind

I think I will stick with my PS2. Especially since we have both an original PS with mod chip and the PS2 (which, strangely enough, I have with me. My kids have the PS). My favorite games tend to be either driving games or hunting games (sorry PB). I'd like to really trick it out with some additional controllers. Unfortunately, the idiots at my local department store tend to focus on a small number of products and then can't keep them in stock.

Cheers

I take back what I said about Colin 04 - it's quite fun once you get ahang of the controls.

I imagine getting a racing wheel controller and really kicking it with that game, but before that it's very hard.

the learning curve was just WAY to steep, I would like to see a traning school - on the other hand all those crashes made me want to get out of the car and enjoy the nice scenerie.