Thread: What is it with RPM sources for apt sources.list file?

Good Guru

What is it with RPM sources for apt sources.list file?

http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/in...;threadid=8008

I can't reply in that thread so I started a new one.

I've never done this so let me ask you this. Why you need to have Fedora core or Mandrake or RPM entries in sources.list file? I mean Debian itself have thousands of packages that it already is pretty complete. Unstable packages are also very recent updated software packages.

Please enlighten me why we need other sources for APT get and what advantages you have for doing it?

TIA

Re:What is it with RPM sources for apt sources.list file?

APT uses sources.list as a way to know where to get the packages from. So the more sources you have the more packages you get. If you did not have this file you would be left with a uses less program (like a car with no engine ) Debian sources will not work with Red Hat and Debian packages wont work with Debian.

Mandrake does not have a sources.list but rather a diffrent file Idon't know what it is.

Hope this answers you question.

Michael

Good Guru

[quote author=The Great Mojo Jojo link=board=2;threadid=8319;start=0#msg75438 date=1071647895]
    Hope this answers you question.
    [/quote]
    Actually, No.

My question is not what sources.list file does. I know that already since I run Debian 2.0 as my test distro and was using continously since Debian 2.1 Shrink.

Debian have thousands of packages in their database. Last time I checked, it has 8710 ( Eight thousand Seven hundred and Ten packages ). So putting a few lines into the sources would be just fine ( don't you think? ).

My question is why need linkes in sources.list file other than from debian.org list? For example, what advantages do I have by putting Fedora core or others in which I can't have with debian.org line? ???

If you look at my first post and its original link, you will see there are more than 3 other sources than debian.org.

Good Guru

[quote author=The Great Mojo Jojo link=board=2;threadid=8319;start=0#msg75438 date=1071647895]
    Debian packages wont work with Debian.
    [/quote]
    Really??

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=2;threadid=8319;start=0#msg75439 date=1071649542]
    For example, what advantages do I have by putting Fedora core or others in which I can't have with debian.org line? ???

[/quote]

I was under the impression that Fedora core sources were not compatible with debian. rpms can be turned into debs, but I don't believe you can use FC repos with Debian.

Anyway, the advantage of adding other sources is that you get some software that's not included by default in the main distro, or won't be coming to the main distro for some time. For example, mono used to have its own repo (since been cancelled) as it wasn't included in the main distro. Also, to get Gnome 2.4 I had to add a 3rd party repo as debian was taking its sweet time getting it into unstable.

Good Guru

I am not at my home machine, but Fedora has 3 configs for it, depending on how you wish to acconmplish things.

The usual apt and yum configs and the up2date one. I stick with the up2date one, since it is now the frontend for apt/yum. Since the yum support for some reason os better ATM, I have mainly yum repositories in there (gathered from the fedora mail list primarily).

I can post what I have as of currently when I get home and actually dial up ;D

If you are using a non, Fedora box, get apt4rpm and use that. Yum has some techical drawbacks that apt doesnt suffer. Mainly being having to do alot more net traffic to get the updates (up2date and apt just mainly grab the headers and you select the header file and download the associated rpm for it).

Dont get me wrong, yum is cool, but for shit connections as I have, its not optimal. But since it is fully integrated into the up2date tool, it makes my life easier and thus I use it. Apt should ne working better by FC2 at the latest.