Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Computer just won't network!

Thread: Computer just won't network!

Computer just won't network!

I have a clean Windows 2000 (yeah i know, but networking is networking right?) install on an old P3 450Mhz computer that is plugged into a Network Hub that is plugged into a single port router using DHCP. The NIC is installed correctly and is hooked up to the hub, but no matter what I do, I cannot get online/view the network. The lights on the NIC and Corresponding Hub port are OFF.

I have tried multiple cables, and multiple ports on the hub (other computers are on the network and it works fine with them). I plugged it into a different network that just uses a single Broadband Router and it worked fine, so I assume it isn't a problem with drivers or anything like that

There is no firewall on the machine, the only one is built into the router (Sonicwall Tele2). I have tried using a new NIC as well, but it does the same thing.

Got any ideas?

Re:Computer just won't network!

If you connect another of the already working computers, to that specific port and cable, does it work?

If you open a command window, and do an ipconfig /all, what are the results.?

I would suspect a speed mismatch between the hub and the nic. If the nic properties are set to autodetect (under link speed), set it to match the port speed on the hub. Just a thought. I have seen many bad ports on one 24 port hub. Just FYI. I assume by
    (other computers are on the network and it works fine with them)
    you swapped a patch cable in a working port to one of the ones that dont work?

[quote author=Radar link=board=4;threadid=8310;start=0#msg75344 date=1071520919]
    I would suspect a speed mismatch between the hub and the nic. If the nic properties are set to autodetect (under link speed), set it to match the port speed on the hub. Just a thought. I have seen many bad ports on one 24 port hub. Just FYI. I assume by
    (other computers are on the network and it works fine with them)
    you swapped a patch cable in a working port to one of the ones that dont work?
    [/quote]

Shouldn't autodetect on the NIC speed detect it right? Are you saying the HUB may only support 10 Mbs rather than 10/100?

yeah i swapped them like you said.

Autodetect should take care of it. But If it is set that way to begin with, set the nic speed to match the hub port just for S&G. There are 10Mb hubs and 10/100 hubs, but I'm not sure if they are port by port configurable like a switch. Best bet is to peek at the working computer's nic properties if hub sped is not obvious.

ok ill try that

I was being stupid of course and didnt check this before.

For some reason it defaulted to being 100Mbs instead of auto sensing (that doesn't fly on a slower network)

thanks alot.