Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

IBook - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IBook

Re:IBook

thanks, i have debian installed right now, unfortunately i cant get X working cause it uses the radeon 9200. and ive been trying to do the tinkering that people suggest but nothing works.

i just have a question about macs (my ibook specifically) but whenever i close the lid or the ibook goes to sleep, my AIM and my IRC lose their connections. is this supposed to happen?

[quote author=burntash link=board=11;threadid=8307;start=0#msg78502 date=1076800639]
    i just have a question about macs (my ibook specifically) but whenever i close the lid or the ibook goes to sleep, my AIM and my IRC lose their connections. is this supposed to happen?
    [/quote]

Yes. It's defaultly set to sleep with lid shut. There is something on apple's support page about how to keep it from doing that if you don't want it to.

i did it folks...

bash-2.05b$ uname -a
    Linux ibook 2.6.4-pegasos0 #1 Sun May 23 19:26:11 GMT 2004 ppc 7455, altivec supported Powerbook6,3 GNU/Linux

I installed Gentoo 2004.1 on my ibook g4. right now i got it running 2.6.4, with the X.Org server, XFce 4.0.5, gaim 0.77, and xchat 2.0.8

yum, i finally got linux on the ibook ;D

Wahey ;D

Congratulations.

From this automn I'll be a computer science student... and i'm looking to buy a laptop for java, c, c++ development, word processing and of course web browsing/research.

As you now have first hand experience with the iBook and Linux... Would you recommend it? Would dual booting Mac OS X/Gentoo cover my needs? ^

What is the biggest limitation of the iBook, compared to the ibm thinkpad for example (x86)? Is the choice of ppc packages in portage (gentoo) satisfactory?

Appreciate all honest feedback, I'm seriously considering the Apple iBook 1ghz G4 14" Student discount deal.

Antrix

im probably gonna switch over to yellowdog 4.0 when it comes out. i didnt see gcc on mac os ox, just perl. so i dont know how it is for c or c++.

[quote author=burntash link=board=11;threadid=8307;start=0#msg85050 date=1088025349]i didnt see gcc on mac os ox, just perl. so i dont know how it is for c or c++.
    [/quote]

You need to install the developers tools. They're downloadable from apples website, or I think they are included on one of the CDs.

[quote author=burntash link=board=11;threadid=8307;start=0#msg75483 date=1071710819]
    the only thing im trying to understand is why im getting a 933Mhz G4 laptop which probably comes out to 1.4-1.6ghz x86 wise. how come macs dont come with higher clock speeds? do you think i will be disappointed by the speed of the laptop? i mean it also has 640mb of ram too. the linuxbox im on now is 1.3ghz with 512ddr and 40gb hd. im pretty impressed with its performance for a slower system.
    [/quote]

You also have to rememer that the G4 is a RISC processor, it does more operations on a single cicle than all the x86 processors

bye