Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

IBook
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IBook

IBook

I did something extremely crazy, I just ordered an Apple IBook....

933MHz PowerPC G4
    256K L2 cache @ 933MHz
    14-inch TFT Display
    1024x768 resolution
    640MB DDR266 SDRAM
    60GB Ultra ATA drive
    Combo Drive
    ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
    32MB DDR video memory
    Mac OS X 10.3

$1400 - $1500 w/ tax

It felt like the logical thing to do, small/compact, light, nice display, awesome battery time, and PPC hardware. I have never owned a Mac in my life, this will be the first, i hope i made the right decision, it was this or a dell. but curiousity killed the cat!! tell me everything will be alright! =P

Re:IBook

I can't believe you. You've made the stupidest purchase of your life....

haha! Just kidding. :-D You'll love your iBook! :-D Having a Unix-based OS that just works is simply amazing. I ordered a 1.25ghz Powerbook a few weeks ago. It awesome. It might not replace your Linux/*BSD box, but it'll be a very nice mobile solution. Enjoy! Let us know how things go.

The only (and I mean ONLY) thing keeping me from that world is the fact that it's still a little nichey. As much as I'd love OSX, and from what I understand the PPC is a much better design than the x86, support for PPC is still secondary. Even on linux this is the case. Take a look at OpenOffice and Mozilla. It took quite some time to get any sort of port to PPC, and once it was there it took even longer to get a native port (using carbon). Mono is also not quite there yet. Those three specifically are vital for me in my day-to-day work. So for now, I'm left out of the mac world, destined to occasionally gawk at the latest and greatest offerings in my local tech shop (I had a chance to play with Expose the other day...man I can't wait for that to come to X).

On a related topic, has anyone ever heard of this?

http://www.pegasosppc.com/

What's this all about? What's it geared at? My impression is that it's a workstation machine and probably wouldn't function so hot as a desktop PC.

heh prae, you almost sent me into a heart attack =P

I am gonna be dual booting this bizzatch, i just gotta figure out what the best distro probably is for it, all i know of right now for PPC is Mandrake, Yellowdog, Debian, Gentoo

the only thing im trying to understand is why im getting a 933Mhz G4 laptop which probably comes out to 1.4-1.6ghz x86 wise. how come macs dont come with higher clock speeds? do you think i will be disappointed by the speed of the laptop? i mean it also has 640mb of ram too. the linuxbox im on now is 1.3ghz with 512ddr and 40gb hd. im pretty impressed with its performance for a slower system.

[quote author=burntash link=board=11;threadid=8307;start=0#msg75483 date=1071710819]
    the only thing im trying to understand is why im getting a 933Mhz G4 laptop which probably comes out to 1.4-1.6ghz x86 wise. how come macs dont come with higher clock speeds?
    [/quote]

Same thing with AMD's chips to a lesser extent (ie: their XP 1700+ is 1.43GHZ but is comparable to Pentium 1.7GHZ). It's just the design.

do you think i will be disappointed by the speed of the laptop? i mean it also has 640mb of ram too. the linuxbox im on now is 1.3ghz with 512ddr and 40gb hd. im pretty impressed with its performance for a slower system.
    I think it will be a bit slower than that system but, assuming you use Panther, it should be nice and snappy. I doubt you'll be disapointed.

Congrats on your first Mac!!! You'll love it!!

I almost have to debate the whole PPC development issue. I really don't see much of an issue with it at all. Yeah, the whole Mozilla thing took awhile, but at least you'll never have to wait on a kernel or anything like that. Other than that, I personally like the whole OSX thing. Nothing like being able to compile apps from the FreeBSD and NetBSD tree on to your Mac. ;D

now if itll only get here so i can play with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!$@#$@$#

i ordered it monday morning and payed $15 for 2-3day shipping and still no email that its been shipped. how long does it take to get this thing =P

you'll love it.

Mine I had TONS of issues with but, a) it's 2 years old b) it wasn't taken care of (I've jumped 10 foot fences with it in my backpack, prolly a bad idea)

And I say gentoo. First I put debian on mine, then I realized I don't like debian (for x86 or ppc) so I tried linux from scratch. That's good but takes a lot of time, then I put on gentoo, beautiful stuff. I think fedora either supports or plans support for PPC also.

My Powerbook is pretty snappy. It's the 1.25ghz model. My desktop machine is a 1.33ghz Athlon running Debian. The Powerbook is mainly faster than the Athlon box, but sometimes its the other way around.

Anyone have a link to the native port of Open Office for OS X? Is it on their site? I've got the licensed version of M$ Office for OS X (picked it up from my old work), but I'd like to give Open Office a try.

Has anyone updated to 10.3.2? I'm getting a few issues with Safari, but other than that it seems to have some major speed improvements. As far as loading pages, Safari is a little speed racer now.