Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 486 Bios has died

Mentor

486 Bios has died

I've got here a 486 DX4/100 running on an Arstoria AS496 motherboard. Unfortunately when I turn on the PC, i am greeted with a BIOS Checksum error, and it asks for a system disk. It is an award BIOS and i have tried to put in a DOS bootdisk with awdflash on it, and have also tried several other boot disks. Does anyone know what the "system disk" it is asking for could be? I've found that I can buy a new pre programmed BIOS chip for $25US, but I'm not willing to spend that much on a 486. There is more info on the mobo here
    Cheers
    CP

Re:486 Bios has died

A system disk is typically a boot disk of some sort - dos, win9x dos, lilo, raw image, etc. or perhaps even a single floppy distro/os.

Mentor

I've tried all of those. I tried a windows boot disk, an MS-DOS 6.22 boot disk, a linux boot disk and nothing worked. I have one more plan, but forgot to compile floppy support into my kernel, : so I'll be doing that tomorrow
    Cheers
    CP

Associate

Suggestion- Check the CMOS battery on the motherboard. It may be all that's wrong. They usually cost around $3.00

BTW - I have several 486 MOBOs that support your CPU. They are gathering dust...

Mentor

I tried removing the batttery, and it doesn't seem to make any difference. Another Mobo is looking like the best bet, as I have memory, HD's and everything else I need. The problem is finding one in NZ, because shipping a mobo here would probably cost more than its worth. Thanks for the offer though
    CP

Associate

You removed the battery - but did you install a new one? If it is dead, the hardware will need to be setup each boot - and removing the battery would not have any effect - it would be the same as a dead battery...

Just a thought...

Wonder what a battery costs to send to NZ? <G>

Good luck!

Mentor

Well it seems that the bios is actually corrupted, but I'm doing as you suggested and actually getting a new battery. My gf works at a watch place and can get me one for free, so I'll be trying it tomorrow.
    Cheers
    CP

Associate

[quote author=CP link=board=3;threadid=8280;start=0#msg76433 date=1073441326]
    Cheers
    CP
    [/quote]

And Roebuck! <G>

Incidentally - there are utility to wipe the CMOS completely, or, you can reload them if they are flashable. WIMs BIOS page is a good resource. I think its www.wims.be or .de or similar, but you can always find it via Google.

Good luck - I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Associate

Well, did it work? (Waiting to hear good news!)

Your chip corrupted. It's asking for the flash boot disk (which in most cases doesn't even work). Go here and order a new chip. You can even have them program you BIOS in for you before they ship it. A lot cheaper than buying a new mobo (Then again, it is a 486).