Thread: Suse and its mirrors

Mentor

Suse and its mirrors

I was doing an FTP install of Suse yesterday. I set it up at approximately 3 in the afternoon, several times throughout the afternoon I was told it couldn't find files on the "media", ie this so called complete mirror. By the time I went to bed at about 11pm it was at about 18%, when I got up this morning at about 11am, it was sitting on 20% tellling me that it couldn't find yet another file. Surely for a mirror to be called "complete" it should have all these files. And I know my net connection was fine, because after retrying each of these files about 5 times, i ignored and moved onto the next file, which went fine. I have to pay for international data, and I had expected that I would download a few GB and then have a nice looking Suse desktop running. But what really happened is I downloaded a few hundred MB, and took my computer out of action for an evening, all because Suse don't properly check there mirrors. This has put me off Suse completely and I am now going to have to find something else to be my secondary install
    CP

Re:Suse and its mirrors

I suspect that there is just a lot of traffic what with the new release and all.

Too bad it "put you off". You'll just end up missing out on one hell of a nice distro.

[quote author=cga link=board=7;threadid=8275;start=0#msg75047 date=1071026405]
    I suspect that there is just a lot of traffic what with the new release and all.

Too bad it "put you off". You'll just end up missing out on one hell of a nice distro.
    [/quote]
    I think Ashcrow was offering to make copies of it. Perhaps you can reach an agreement with him?

Mentor

I'm not put off SuSE I'm just put off the FTP install of it. I'd love to be able to afford to buy a boxed set but at the moment am struggling to make ends meet, and I don't expect anyone to have to send me a copy of it. I also don't think it was due to traffic, purely because it wouldn't accept the same file. I was just highly dissapointed by their mirror's. In a few days, I may download the whole install FTP mirror, and have it sitting on my own server. But now I've just run out of time unfortunately.

Associate

Funny - that's what I ended up doing - although I didn't really mean to. I was trying to figure out who I could get ISOs from when I reread the information on the SUSE site, then downloaded the FTP ISO. I burned it, ran it, and pointed it to a windows share on my windows box where the 7 gig directory lives, and awayyyy we go!

Now I just need to resolve a minor NIC issue, and it's installed. Not bad for 2 days Linux experience!

I imagine my 20+ years overall computer experience coupled with SUSE's very nice distro helped a bit!

If you need any CDs, let me know what files you need on them (since it's still pretty much "Greek" to me) and I will mail them to you. Heck what’s a few cents for CDs and postage.

Happy New Year and good luck!

Mentor

Thanks for the offer. I managed to get the ISO's in the end, with a little help So now I have Suse 9.0 Pro running on my PC. And I must say after all my ranting it is very nice indeed.

Associate

Ranting? ??? What ranting? I deedn't hear no steenking ranting! ;D

Glad you're up and running - I am almost there myself. Last attempt was RH 5.0 - and I was utterly baffled. This is actually user friendly enough that I can run the desktop while I gradually learn the commands.
    And, people here seem pretty friendly - Glad to be here!

well, the ftp:// for SuSE is working now.. can some one just tell me which directory to go to, i haven't done a ftp:// for any site before, i have red hat but some say SuSE is better so i want to try it out
    THanks!

hre is a nice guide wirden up by the crouse
    http://www.usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1310

Associate

[quote author=shebang link=board=7;threadid=8275;start=0#msg76517 date=1073567534]
    well, the ftp:// for SuSE is working now.. can some one just tell me which directory to go to, i haven't done a ftp:// for any site before, i have red hat but some say SuSE is better so i want to try it out
    THanks!
    [/quote]

I just used the FTP boot iso. Try pointing it to this mirror (it seems fast to me...)

ftp://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/suse/