Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Internet connection

Thread: Internet connection

Internet connection

Hi

Ok here is the deal.
    I have no idea what I am doing ??? :-[
    I just loaded Mandrake 9.2 from a couple of cd's given to me with no manuel.
    I am very new to Linux.
    How do I setup an internet connection?
    I have cable.
    I am using KDE.

thanx

Re:Internet connection

hello,
    does the cable connection use PPPoE or dhcp? i know for redhat 9 tehre is an internet connection that walks you through thr process.

Also, is it out of the wall, into the cable modem, into your computer via eithernet/usb? Or wall, modem, router (for sharing, etc) to your computer via ehternet?

No PPPOE.
    I think dhcp.

It connects to my laptop via usb...and when I click the usb icon it reads the cable modem, but I dont get any connection to the internet and dont know how to configure the connection.

I will open the internet browser (Konqueror)
    and it will say unknown host.

Sooo I dont know where to go after that
    I can go in the settings
    and click plugins but I don't see anything new in there.

Good Guru

How's your network setup?

Your ISP --> Cable Modem --> Mandrake 9.2 laptop ?

Using USB port to your cable modem's USB port? Is your modem have Eathernet RJ45 port you can connect to?

We need more info to help you set up.

Hi,

What is the model of your cable modem? And what is your cable provider?

The reason why I ask is because, usually, you can go to google and type "the name of my modem" + "Mandrake"

or

"The name of my modem" + "linux" and you will probably find out an article about someone who had the same setup as you, and how that person hot it to work.

HTH