Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Login

Remote Login

How do I access my home computer using ssh and Debian Sid on a Dlink router. I will be using Windows 2000 pro at work? How do I setup ssh?

I have Putty on the windows computer as a client.

Thnx.

Good Guru

Re:Remote Login

If your DLlink is capable of port forwarding ( which I'm not sure since all my experiences with routers are 3COMs which are capable of port forwarding ), then all you do is set up your DLink to accept port 22 and forward it to your Debian box's port 22.

On your debian box, set up SSH to listen to port 22 and open up firewall for that port ( if there is any ).

On 3COM 3C510 Home Gateway/router, it's configured via web browser. I had to log in as the Administrator, then go to Advanced tab and there I needed to enable port forwarding by selecting the radio box, put in my box that I wanted to forward ( such as 192.168.100.40 ), then port number. That's what my friend has.

At home, my Debian box is the one doing all the routing and gateway stuff.

If you post your model number and if DLink has manual that we can check out online, them may be I can give you specific detailed after checking the maunal out. Send me PM if you need that.

HTH ..

Good Guru

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=4;threadid=8218;start=0#msg74608 date=1070256205]
    How do I setup ssh?
    [/quote]
    I didn't see that one. You mean how do you get SSHD? It's apt-get install sshd. You need to have non-us part of packages sever listed in your sources file. Debian's packages server is down at the moment ( due to cracked servers ) so you may need to wait a bit. Or you can download from freshmeat.net server and install it yourself. Just make sure you disabled root log in.
    I have Putty on the windows computer as a client.
    Yeah, that's what I use too. If you want graphical log in, check out iXplorer from www.i-tree.org .

Set your virtual Server to point to the host you want ssh to go to, and port 22. On the packet filter options, make sure that you don't have port 22 blocked from incoming.

Thanks guys. I'll have to get back to let you know how it went.

Here is the link to the manual, but I forgot which revision I have at the moment. But will find out.

http://www.dlink.com/products/support.asp?pid=62#manual

It seems that Debian Sid have vncserver, so I apt-get installed it.

It asked me to type a password and verify it, which I did. Then it show this message, "New 'X' desktop is Saptech:1
    Starting applications specified in /etc/X11/Xsession
    Log file is /root/.vnc/Saptech:1.log

All this was done as root. Now I'm beginning to wonder should I have started vncserver as normal user?

When it prompted for a password, I gave it a new password, not my root password. Should I have used root password?

I won't be able to try logging in till I get to work in a couple of hours from now (cst).

sshd is already installed & running. I'm not able to check for port fowarding at this time, so will work on this tomorrow.

Thnx.

I'm currently at work and using the VNC client to access my home computer.

When the client ask for vnc server, I enter Saptech:1 and when I click OK, I get this message:

Failed to get server address.
    Did you type the host name correctly?

Any ideas on what is happening? I did log out of Debian. Should I have stayed logged in?

Thnx.

Good Guru

No matter what remote access server/client software package you are using, you NEED to have port forwarding enabled on your DLink router. Whatever server you wanted to have access ( be it SSH, VNC, HTTP, FTP ), you need to let your DLink router knows what to do when it received the request for service at its external port.

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=4;threadid=8218;start=0#msg74640 date=1070332600]
    When the client ask for vnc server, I enter Saptech:1 and when I click OK, I get this message:

Failed to get server address.
    Did you type the host name correctly?

Any ideas on what is happening?
    [/quote]
    You need to have DNS defined for your domain if it's infact that's how you want to access it. Otherwise, you need to do is via IP address of your external interface which is connected to Internet.

I did log out of Debian. Should I have stayed logged in?
    All of *nix are multiple user OSes so it's doesn't matter. If you log in again, it wil just be another instances of it.

On my servers, I have many concurrent logons via TTYs and PTSs. My desktop box is also the same. I have at least 5 TTY sections going at the same time for logging on to different servers via SSH. So that I can keep track of all my servers via hitting Ctr+Alt+F1, F2 so on .....

HTH..

Well I'm able to access my home computer using ssh fine & dandy, but I still can't access using VNC. I'm still getting the failed to get the server address error message.

What port will vnc be using?

Thnx.

Mentor

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=4;threadid=8218;start=#msg74682 date=1070419483]
    Well I'm able to access my home computer using ssh fine & dandy, but I still can't access using VNC. I'm still getting the failed to get the server address error message.

What port will vnc be using?

Thnx.

[/quote]

ports 5800 and 5900