Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Lycoris or Xandros??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lycoris or Xandros??

Lycoris or Xandros??

Ive decided to restructure my home network. 2 headless servers -- One fileserver/web/proxy (suse), one mp3/development server (freebsd), and 2 high-speed workstations running XP and (another Linux).

Ive decided to part ways with Redhat, and Fedora is no friend of mine just yet. I wont revisit SUSE again until the Ximian/Novell interoperation is complete, so I got to thinking.

Lycoris or Xandros??

Re:Lycoris or Xandros??

Go with Xandros. It's an excellent distro I know I have it everything is soo easy. There is no need to install the ATI or nVidia drivers because it does it for you It is also KDE is extreamly organized, it's easy to find programs/files (looks like windows) you also don't have multipul of the same program(eg office) network was too easy all you have to do is...nothing ;D ;D it also come with CodeWeavers(deluxe edition) and RealONE(don't bother installing). It's also very fast IMO.

i'm very sleepy now so any mistakes just ingore it.

EDIT:it also has flash and java installed so any java apps (eg LimeWire) work.

ive noted that xandros is debian based

have you upgraded your kernel yet?

nahh I never upgraded it. It work just fine but they do have kernel update tho. it uses kernel 2.4.23-x1.

No gnome applications installed on xandros?
    what the hell ?

I believe that neither one ships with GNOME.

Lycoris is based around a HEAVILY altered KDE 2.2.2

Xandros likewise uses an altered KDE.

Both I'm sure are exellent distros in their own rights but KDE just rubs me the wrong way.

There's always www.usr-local-bin.org if you want SuSE and GNOME, or there's straight up Debian if that's the aim - the latest sarge and sid snapshots have the new installer which is a MAJOR improvement over the old one.

[quote author=beast link=board=7;threadid=8455;start=0#msg76601 date=1073719401]
    No gnome applications installed on xandros?
    what the hell ?
    [/quote]

I said the samething to myself but once I tried it was really well done, like I said before. But you can install gnome if you want.

Good Guru

Even though the board can vouch that I hated it, may as well try Gentoo. It is a great experience none the less.

I just didint like compiling all day on my shitty k62-500/256MB. I have debated revisiting with my new XP3400/512 DDR400. Shall see I guess ....

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=7;threadid=8455;start=0#msg76622 date=1073761404]
    Even though the board can vouch that I hated it, may as well try Gentoo. It is a great experience none the less.

I just didint like compiling all day on my shitty k62-500/256MB. I have debated revisiting with my new XP3400/512 DDR400. Shall see I guess ....
    [/quote]

Schotty, that would be a worthwhile thing to try. After I moved from a k6-2 to my XP2400/256DDR266, I put Gentoo on and I am loving it 8^)

Good Guru

Thanks.

I am currently trying to figure out SuSE. IT hates all of the monitors I shove it. I am hoping it is the nvidia driver that shipped. I am currently digging for the kernel source so I can install it.

I may as well go gentoo if this is a miserable failure as well. ;D

I never thought of myself as a distro whore ... Fedora, Libreanet, SuSE, Gentoo ... What next? NetBSD ?