Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SUSE9 partitioning

Hybrid View

SUSE9 partitioning

I'm just out of curiosity playing around with suse9.0 istallation....
    It's been awhile since I was thinking about it , cause RH is pretty flexible regarding the partitioning, but anyway:
    So far it looks like SUSE allows to create 4 partitions, I've created 3 primary partitions (swap, boot, and /) and here is the funny thing:
    I have 9G disk, three primary partitions take up 1G, so I'm supposed to have 7G left, so I create axtended partition, specify 7G as size, then receive error messaeg saying it exceeds the number of available cylinders and gives be an option to allocate all available space. I say amen (ok) to that and it creates partition of 4G.
    Questions:
    a) Where did my 3G go? (Why it takes only 4 out of 7 available Gigs)
    b) As to the SUSE partitioning - is the same number of allowed partitions as on the RH or is it somehow different?
    Thanks.

Good Guru

Re:SUSE9 partitioning

I'm not sure what tool SUSE uses to install but it should give you more choice than the 4 primary partitions though.

Check here for more disk partitioning info.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~forsberg/...harddisks.html

BTW, is installing SUSE something to do with server, networking and Internet?

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=1;threadid=8222;start=0#msg74655 date=1070386237]
    I'm not sure what tool SUSE uses to install but it should give you more choice than the 4 primary partitions though.

Check here for more disk partitioning info.

http://www.lysator.liu.se/~forsberg/...harddisks.html

[/quote]

Good catch, Compunuts

I'm just playing around with SUSE.....after RH discontinued support it looks like the best alternative (for me of course, don't mean to offend anybody)
    Surprisingly it looks much more user-friendly than RH, I really liked it.
    As to the partitioning.....rrrrrrrrrr, I had to answer those questions on LPIC exam but it appears I don't remember much :-( , if memory serves me it should allow 4 primary and 4 extended partitions......
    I think I've found the answer to my questions though, here is what I think about it:
    By default SUSE preserves NT partitions if those are present, this is why it in my case:
    1. It actually gave me a limited number of partitions that I could use cause some of them were already taken by W2K
    2. It gave an option of creating only 4G partition cause the rest was taken by NT
    I think this is it......

[quote author=trickster link=board=1;threadid=8222;start=0#msg74658 date=1070393097]
    [quote author=Compunuts link=board=1;threadid=8222;start=0#msg74655 date=1070386237]

[/quote]

Good catch, Compunuts
    [/quote]

If you're referring to the SUSE installation over the Internet, then yes, but I actually have CDs....

Good Guru

[quote author=elovkoff link=board=1;threadid=8222;start=0#msg74665 date=1070402480]
    Surprisingly it looks much more user-friendly than RH, I really liked it.[/quote]
    SuSE always had been more of graphical eye-candy than most of the distros that I've seen ( after OpenDesktop from Caldera ). It had been a while since I haven't installed SuSE ( 6.2 was my last ) but YaST is a very good tool. YaST2 was even better I've heard.

But with Novell acquiring SuSE, how long is going to last before they go the same route as Red Hat? I'm not saying charging for a distro is a bad idea; in fact I think it's a GREAT idea. Those businesses can afford 180 bucks for a server.

if memory serves me it should allow 4 primary and 4 extended partitions......
    That's what Windows support. Hardware wise, you can have 4 primary plus unlimited extended. If you create any logical partition, then you can only have 3 primaries.

By default SUSE preserves NT partitions if those are present, this is why it in my case:
    May be ....

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=1;threadid=8222;start=0#msg74691 date=1070428993]
    But with Novell acquiring SuSE, how long is going to last before they go the same route as Red Hat? I'm not saying charging for a distro is a bad idea; in fact I think it's a GREAT idea. Those businesses can afford 180 bucks for a server.
    [/quote]

Ive had the same question, the only big change Ive seen thus far is the SUSE website. I dont know if this is an indicator or not, but it seems like both the Ximian and Suse site are remaining as thier own entities.

Good Guru

[quote author=beast link=board=1;threadid=8222;start=0#msg74692 date=1070433451]
    Ive had the same question, the only big change Ive seen thus far is the SUSE website.[/quote]
    I think they are in no hurry to fold them. In fact, I think they are going to keep the sites the way it is. Ximian and SuSE are big names ( in open source world ) to make it disappear.

We all know that consumer market is hard to make money. I don't blame Red Hat for discontinuation of consumer market. They have the share holders they need to answer to ( for bad part of going public ).

The only thing what disgust me of RH's decision is that they seems to forgot where they got their name from and why Windows is widely accepted even though it's crappy product. The more lower level people familiar with your product, the better off you will be when it comes to big corporate accounts. The major reason RH was big in US is because there is wide usage of low level techie guys in US companies. Once those guys abandon RH due to availability, then they will loose their market share in coming decade.

Oh well, too bad. I'm already happy with 8)Debian 8).

I disagree with compunuts......why charging for distro is GREAT idea?
    The only thing I can actually accept is what SUSE does, they charge for the media, but once you have it, you can install it on unlimited number of wstations.....

Good Guru

[quote author=elovkoff link=board=1;threadid=8222;start=0#msg74711 date=1070462826]
    why charging for distro is GREAT idea?[/quote]
    Why not? Somebody had to eat, take care of their family and stuff.

The only thing I can actually accept is what SUSE does, they charge for the media, but once you have it, you can install it on unlimited number of wstations.....
    You mean somebody suppose to work for free? Community supported distros like Debian can stand this way but any commercial distros will follow what Red Hat does. SOMEBODY has to pay for their living.
    What most companies does is burn through funding from venture capitals. After dot-com bust, it just gets harder to do that way. So they gotta find some ways to pay for salaries. You know the cost of media is very minimal compare to what they actual work packaging the products.
    Do YOU work for free? Think about it.