Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SUSE9 partitioning

Re:SUSE9 partitioning

Beleive me, I'm most gratefull for those guys who keep OpenSource soft running on such excellent level......but I was always under impression that distros like RH get money from their subscription services and commercial support. Having the ability to download ISO images for ages and now seeing that it's not longer available....doesn't leave a good taste in the mouth.

And, yes, I don't work for free, I'm getting paid, can't beat that argument :-)

Good Guru

[quote author=elovkoff link=board=1;threadid=8222;start=0#msg74727 date=1070484768]
    I was always under impression that distros like RH get money from their subscription services and commercial support.[/quote]
    Yeap, but there just is not enough from consumer side of things. The trouble that they have to go though with support for installation ( even sometime unpaid support here gets me furstrated so you can imagine how people will be with paid support ) , it just ain't worth it. Now, they will only do that for Enterprise distro.

I'm not saying it's a good idea but I just understands what they are going through.

Having the ability to download ISO images for ages and now seeing that it's not longer available....doesn't leave a good taste in the mouth.
    I think they should have let people download ISO without any support.
    But then again, what good is a distro without any update such as security?
    I think at least something is better than nothing at all. Now, I'm stuck in RH 7.3 land. I just converted my desktop to new box with Debian from my former RH box.
    So long Red Hat.

And, yes, I don't work for free, I'm getting paid, can't beat that argument :-)
    ;D

Just did a fresh install of SUSE9....still allws only 4 partitions.....cuold it be that SUSE workstation allows only that number of partitions?....

maybe you can make more using partition magic or the tools off of www.sysresccd.org (the best system resc tool around), and then tell SuSE to span accross the existing parts?

It's not that I need more partitions.....I just wonder what the heck...:-)

that's what seperates those who care how it works rather than why...

Good Guru

[quote author=elovkoff link=board=1;threadid=8222;start=0#msg74860 date=1070729885]
    Just did a fresh install of SUSE9....still allws only 4 partitions.....cuold it be that SUSE workstation allows only that number of partitions?....
    [/quote]
    Do this if you can spare that HDD (this is meant as Hard Disk Drive).

Delete all the partitions on that HDD. Create a partition. Verify that if it will allow you to specify "primary" and "extended". If it does, create 3 more partitions. When doing the last one, specify as extended. See what happens.

[quote author=countach44 link=board=1;threadid=8222;start=0#msg74924 date=1070829707]
    that's what seperates those who care how it works rather than why...
    [/quote]

Or maybe it's just show how f*@#$-ng loaded I'm at my work :-)

Associate

[quote author=elovkoff link=board=1;threadid=8222;start=0#msg75184 date=1071210772]
    Or maybe it's just show how f*@#$-ng loaded I'm at my work :-)
    [/quote]

...just goes to show why you shouldn't drink on the job!

should, n't