Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

I cant decide what to do.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I cant decide what to do.

Hybrid View

I cant decide what to do.

I plan on getting a new computer soon, or i hope to, but i cant decide which way i want to go.

I could either buy an eMac for like $850 and then add another 256mb of ram to it . (for $850 it would be: 1000mhz G4, 80 gig hard drive, 128MB of ram) and then i would have to pay like $70 or something like that to add ram myself (no need to pay apple's high prices for memory)

or for like $650 I could get this:
    http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=488631
    Right now, im leaning towards the athlon machine..simply because either way ill probobly use Gentoo.

Re:I cant decide what to do.

[quote author=TeRG link=board=14;threadid=8183;start=0#msg74383 date=1069618809]

or for like $650 I could get this:
    http://secure.newegg.com/app/WishR.asp?ID=488631
    Right now, im leaning towards the athlon machine..simply because either way ill probobly use Gentoo.
    [/quote]

All that for $650??

Oh man there's where I cast my vote. That's a pretty mint setup.

As for me, I'm after a ThinkPad

thats what im thinking. I might up the chip and the ram and add a monitor, i could probobly still be under a grand, iduno though, we'll see how desperate i am when i get the money.

I don't think you would be happy with an eMac. Just a guess. Yeah, you could save adding memory youself, but have fun putting it in. Apple does a great job of complicating such work like that unless it's a PCI based Mac.

yeah, im sure i could figure it out..but who knows, maybe id fall short..

I'm sure you could. Something about opening up an $800 Mac when you've never even opened a Mac before to save money, might not be the best idea. Grab a Quadra 630, and take out the power supply. That would give you a feel of how Apple likes to keep their non-PCI based systems from being serviced.

yeah, i imagine its difficult...

and their pci systems are so bloody expesnive. its not even funny. i <3 macs, but i dont <3 the cost enough to buy one. do they know how many customers they lose by having high ass prices?

Well the name does it for me...

What do you use... emacs, can a vi user really afford the shame and agony of having his machine named after the nasty smelling OS emacs ?

Oh and I would get a P4 or an AMD64 not an Athlon-XP.

I have to agree with LC here. A Mac is probably not going to suit you needs. If you really want one, start with something small. A Power Mac, Blue and White G3 system, or a PowerMac 603/604 might be a good start b4 you drop a ton of money into one.

i would get an athlon64..infact i might, we'll see what happens with the price

but an athlon 2800+ would suite me.

and how did you know i was a vi user? :P