So, I'll admit it, I'm an UltraEdit junkie. The column mode features, the automatic sequence numbering, file conversions from variable width to fixed width... there's a lot to like.

I also like emacs. Can't imagine life without it.

However, there's times when a GUI based editor feels right. Kate seems to fill this need nicely when on Linux.

There have been a few frustrations I've had with Kate, though. Some I've found answers for, some not.

This is an attempt to get the answers I've found to my Kate frustrations documented in some google-able format.

1. Using the Kate find and replace dialog, how do you replace some character (say a tab) with a newline?

This had me going for awhile. Regular expression replacement of \t with \n doesn't seem to work.

I tried the sed style editing commands suggested by the Kate tips (Ctrl-M to bring up dialog, s/\t/\n/; the Ctrl-M thing doesn't seem to work anymore in my recently compiled version of Kate).

So here's how I solved it (replacing tab with newline)

1. Create a blank line (Hit Enter)
2. Copy the newline char (shift + left arrow to highlight; ctrl-c to copy)
3. Open the find and replace dialog (ctrl-r)
4. Enter \t in "Text to Tind" text box and make sure "Regular Expression" checkbox is marked
5. Place cursor in "Replacement Text" text box.
6. Paste the newline character into the field (ctrl-v; you won't see anything happen to indicate it "took")
7. Hit "Replace" button to start replacing.

I'm SURE that there's an easier way to do this starting right within the Kate Find/Replace dialog box but I haven't found it.

Does anyone else have a Kate nigglet (and/or resolution) they'd like to share?

-- Tom