Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Extrange, Extrange situation with my home lan
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extrange, Extrange situation with my home lan

Extrange, Extrange situation with my home lan

I have a tiny network with two computers.

COMPUTER A: Windows 98SE ( partition 1 ) and RED HAT LINUX 8 ( partition 2 ). GRUB is the launcher.-

COMPUTER B: Windows 98SE

-----
    Computer A IN WINDOWS: 192.168.0.1 - netmask 255.255.255.0. Thats all.

Computer B only-windows: 192.168.0.2 - netmask 255.255.255.0. Thats all.
    -----

I boot both in windows. I PING the machines. I ping themselves. THE TINY NETWORK under Windows WORKS FINE.

So far, so good.

----

Now i want to make the "other net" to learn and test LINUX. In the future i plan to use the Kylix language.

I boot the COMPUTER A with RED HAT 8. It has the eth0 well configured.
    i ping the card fine. ping localhost...shows what i expect.

/etc/hosts says:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    192.168.0.1 servidor.linux servidor

Hostname says "servidor".

IPTABLES shows nothing. it says ACCEPT in every line.
    ROUTE shows both things.

NFS is mounted, IPTABLES is mounted
    ( testing all this i stopped and started the service without success)

/etc/resolv.conf says nothing. is empty.

more? under /etc/sysconfig/network says "hostname=servidor.linux"...i put another things in it, but always RH8 leaves the file like that.
    What other things? NETWORKING='yes"...but always i back to see the file and i see the hostname word only...

The other files network related shows the same things. There are nothing else.

Well.

I Boot the computer A. login as "root". NO ERRORS on any services.

There are no alias on eth0, nothing. My Linux is...pure. No firewalls. Nothing, nada, niet...

I boot the COMPUTER B. i go the DOS prompt

SO:

IN LINUX I PING SERVIDOR itself ....fine.

IN WINDOWS I PING 192.168.0.2 ( the same machine )...fine.

I ping FROM LINUX (A) TO WINDOWS (B)....DESTINATION HOST UNREACHABLE.

I ping FROM WINDOWS (B) to LINUX (A)...time exausted.

WELL.

Remember WINDOWS NT and its horrible "hardware list compatible" book?
    Does LINUX have another? LINUX is more of the same thing?

Time I did the tiny LAN with Windows98SE: 10 minutes.

From two weeks ago I face with this problem. Nobody on the net says ANYTHING about this "LAN HOME NETWORKING with two stupid machines with Linux and Windows"

Im the only person on this world with this problem?

All people says me: "On internet you...", "The DNS..", my anger grows...I dont have internet connection here, i dont have DNS,

I-just-want-a-simple-ping-between LINUX AND WINDOWS.

ALL SAMBA STUFF will come later when I-CAN-PING-MY-F***ING-MACHINES and I can share files.

Im not a geek. Im just a simple Systems Engineer. I write applications and programs for bussiness. My knowledge about the TCP/IP is simple. With Windows or Novell networks i use what i know about TCP/IP and never I had any problem.

Can you imaging how I feel with I hear "LINUX will be THE ORGASM...its the future...its the best" and i-can-not-get-any-answer-from-my-machines-when-i-ping-each-other"

Detail: My Home LAN is a coaxial cable with two NIC cards 3Com model '97. I insist: on Windows , they work fine.

Do I have any hope?

Mentor

Re:Extrange, Extrange situation with my home lan

Do you have samba installed on the Linux box? You'll need that to do networking with the Win box.
    Can you ping the Windows box from the Linux machine by it's IP adrress and vice-versa?

Hi,

I think that you are confusing 2 things:

A)That Linux is good
    B)That Linux is easy.

They are two different things.

Apart from that,

I do not think you can have communications without specifying a gateway.

How are these machines connected? (One to the other, through a hub/switch, etc.)

the command ifconfig eth0 will give you all the information regarding your network card, similar to the Windows ipconfig /all or winipcfg command.

Can you post the results of the ifconfig eth0 command from the linux box and the winipcfg command on the second box?

Good Guru

Ill take a stab at this ;D

Okay Red hat 8 ... I remember those days ;D About a year ago I was going goo-goo-gaa-gaa over it :'( Such fond memories...

Anyhoo. To get them on the same network first do this (Since I am unsure whther you have X installed, much less any of the tui tools -- we go the long way for insurance that it will work):

On your redhat box, go in /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default
    Now take a look at ifcfg-eth0
    Code:
    [schotty@andrew devices]$ cat ifcfg-eth0
    # Lite-On|LNE100TX
    DEVICE=eth0
    BOOTPROTO=dhcp
    HWADDR=00:A0:CC:28:A0:F9
    ONBOOT=yes
    TYPE=Ethernet
    USERCTL=no
    PEERDNS=no
    That shows we have an ethernet device setup.

Now that we have hardware there, lets check the driver status :
    Do a 'dmseg | less'
    Code:
    Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre12 (Aug 9, 2002)
    PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:0b.0
    tulip0:  MII transceiver #1 config 3100 status 7829 advertising 01e1.
    divert: allocating divert_blk for eth0
    eth0: Lite-On 82c168 PNIC rev 32 at 0xf0abc000, 00:A0:CC:28:A0:F9, IRQ 11.
    ip_tables: (C) 2000-2002 Netfilter core team
    eth0: Setting full-duplex based on MII#1 link partner capability of 01e1.
    There is my selection stating that my nic has had a succesful driver load.

Okay, now lets goto DNS (as you may have seen, my card has DHCP, and is configured. You would see a line in your ifcfg-eth0 that would have the IP address/subnetmask. It should be fine.) To setup dns edit the resolv.conf that is there.
    Code:
    [schotty@andrew default]$ cat resolv.conf
    ; generated by /sbin/dhclient-script
    search schotty.net
    nameserver 192.168.0.2
    nameserver 209.153.128.4
    nameserver 169.207.1.3
    [schotty@andrew default]$
    As you can see mine is generated by dhcp, but you seem to get the format already.

Now, use:
    "/sbin/ifdown eth0 && /sbin/ifup eth0"
    to bring the device up (note, this needs to be root).

For samba .. lets hit that next, when I dont need to goto work ;D

Connectivity first.

>Do you have samba installed on the Linux box? You'll need that to do networking with the Win box.>

Samba is welcome when i be able to PING the machines each other.

>Can you ping the Windows box from the Linux machine by it's IP adrress and vice-versa? >
    That's the point: NO.

Thks

>How are these machines connected? (One to the other, through a hub/switch, etc.)>

A coaxial cable BNC with terminators.

>the command ifconfig eth0 will give you all the information regarding your network card, similar to the Windows ipconfig /all or winipcfg command.>

Yes. Its give me that.

>Can you post the results of the ifconfig eth0 command from the linux box and the winipcfg command on the second box?>

I will.

Thnks

# route add default gw 192.168.0.2

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=4;threadid=8173;start=0#msg74299 date=1069443914]

Do a 'dmseg | less'

[/quote]

I believe that should be "dmesg | less".

And yeah Linux will throw a lot of these massive annoyances at first. However, once you familiarize yourself with the environment it becomes second nature, just like Windows. I use Win32 for development at work, and I find it much more frustrating to troubleshoot than my linux box at home. Stick with it and hopefully you'll find out what I mean

PS: I've read that Kylix is dying fast. Borland apparently saw a market that just wasn't there. This is backed up by the fact that the only place I've ever heard of it is on /. and through my own readings...never encountered it in industry. If you're doing this for something specific, then that's fine...but if you're looking to expand your development skills, I'd say go with another language. Just my personal views.

I'm assuming your topology is Linux<------>Windows. If your both in the same subnet, the cable is a crossover (unless you are runnign through a switch) or in the case of true coax you have proper terminal ends, and the cable is not damaged, you shouldn't have a problem pinging the systems. If you do, then you might have a half-live NIC which is, unfortunatly, a common problem with both new and older NIC's. A half-live NIC will show up as working fine but not actually send or recieve packets. If you are SURE that both systems NIC's are working properly (by testing them both online or something alike) then the only other thing I can think of is a firewall on one or both of the systems. Red Hat comes with a firewall to help boost security and during the install it's possible to set the settings high enough to where pings comming in get dropped (and maybe out as well). It's a general security thing in Linux, Mac OS, BSD OS's that Microsoft might add to their OS in a few years due to their security initiutive.

Hopefully this will help. If not reply back and we'll keep on, but please be clear and well written, it's a bit hard to understand what your asking or saying in your posts.

Good Guru

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=4;threadid=8173;start=0#msg74307 date=1069464134]
    it's a bit hard to understand what your asking or saying in your posts.
    [/quote]
    Yeah, that's what I was going to say. I'm not sure which one was questions and which one was anger-related-complains.

:-\