Thread: Welcome to Radeon Hell

Welcome to Radeon Hell

Heya..

After asking on a couple of other forums, without getting a single reply for weeks, I've decided to post here, too.

And since I'm a lazy bastard, I'll paste the old thread here:

-----

Heya!

I recently reinstalled Slackware 10 lately, and installed the fglrx drivers again, to get X running.

Now, on my earlier install, I had 3d acceleration running on a 2.6.1 kernel after patching the agpgart and sis-agp files in the kernel in order to get the SiS 648FX chipset to work.

However, I'm running 2.6.8.1, and using the same patch, I get the following error when trying to build the module.

The version is fglrx 3.14.1

[14:39:46][root@belgarion:build_mod]$ ./make.sh
    ATI module generator V 2.0
    ==========================
    initializing...
    cleaning...
    patching 'highmem.h'...
    skipping patch for 'drmP.h', not needed
    skipping patch for 'drm_os_linux.h', not needed
    assuming new VMA API since we do have kernel 2.6.x...
    doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
    make -C /lib/modules/2.6.8.1/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x mo dules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1'
    Building modules, stage 2.
    MODPOST
    *** Warning: "_spin_lock" [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko] undefine d!
    *** Warning: "_spin_unlock" [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko] undefi ned!
    *** Warning: "smp_call_function" [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko] u ndefined!
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.8.1'
    build succeeded with return value 0
    duplicating results into driver repository...
    done.
    ==============================
    You must change your working directory to /lib/modules/fglrx
    and then call ./make_install.sh in order to install the built module.
    ==============================

[14:40:13][root@belgarion:fglrx]$ ./make_install.sh
    - creating symlink
    - recreating module dependency list
    - trying a sample load of the kernel module
    FATAL: Error inserting fglrx (/lib/modules/2.6.8.1/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.ko): Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)
    failed.

the patch I used is located here: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=lin...11059507951&w=2

I really want 3d acceleration working..

-----

The undefined symbols scream at me every time I boot.

Thanks.

Re: Welcome to Radeon Hell

You deffinitely have a toughy. There might be some great people on here that will jump in.
    Everything I learn gives me another way to say \"OOPS!\" :oops:

Associate

I don't know what kind of card you have and I'm not sure what fglrx is, but my card (Radeon M7) was very easy to get 3D accelleration for from the kernel/xorg. I've written a small "how-to" on my site - dunno if it's useful. I guess if you have a really high-end expensive Radeon it might not work as well as the best option, but for me this suffices (easily).
    HTH
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Uranus";p="3643
    I don't know what kind of card you have and I'm not sure what fglrx is, but my card (Radeon M7) was very easy to get 3D accelleration for from the kernel/xorg. I've written a small "how-to" on my site - dunno if it's useful. I guess if you have a really high-end expensive Radeon it might not work as well as the best option, but for me this suffices (easily).
    HTH
    Sam
    I've got a ATI Radeon 9600 Mobility running on a SiS 648 chipset. Now,I think the problem is that the patch I've been using is for 2.6.1. I had 3d running fine on that kernel, but with 2.6.8.1 and up, it won't work.

this irks me, because it's basically the last thing that keeping me from migrating to linux totally.

Associate
    Hmmm... patches for different versions indeed often do not work (I had the same with bootsplash, difference 2.6.6 2.6.7 I believe - minor). I think you're going to have to look for a new patch, dive deeeeep into the code, or use another kernel version.
    Sam

Advisor

Quote Originally Posted by postlogic";p="3653
    Quote Originally Posted by Uranus";p="3643
    HTH
    Sam
    I've got a ATI Radeon 9600 Mobility running on a SiS 648 chipset. Now,I think the problem is that the patch I've been using is for 2.6.1. I had 3d running fine on that kernel, but with 2.6.8.1 and up, it won't work.

this irks me, because it's basically the last thing that keeping me from migrating to linux totally.
    i believe dri will work with that card if the fglrx drivers keep giving you shit

dri.sf.net

Quote Originally Posted by maccorin";p="3701
    i believe dri will work with that card if the fglrx drivers keep giving you shit

dri.sf.net
    Nope, it won't. I've tried those as well..

As for the code-diving, and me not knowing much other than C# and PHP, I guess I'll just have to go back to 2.6.1.

Thanks!