Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suse 9.0 Install Help Please

Suse 9.0 Install Help Please

Ok, I just got Suse 9.0 and installed it. The auto-install went fine, know errors popped up or anything. It all seemed to go great until I tried to log in for the first time. It goes through all the commands, then gets to the login part and dies. I can start in failsafe mode and get to the terminal part but I don't know what to do from there. If I type startx the system dies. There don't appear to be any errors during boot, just a note that smbfs acpid splash were skipped. If anyone could help me out here, it would be appreciated. I was really looking forward to playing around with Suse tonight.

Re:Suse 9.0 Install Help Please

Did you make sure you installed a Desktop Enviorment?? like KDE or GNOME???

Can you get in in failsafe mode, and, before doing startx, do "tail -f /var/log/Xfree86*"?

Yes, several windows managers are installed. When I type the tail -f command, it says No Such file or directory.

did you try it as root ??? if it still says that try like this /usr/sbin/tail

Forgot to capitalize the "F" in free. This is what I got in kdm.log:

TDFX: No matching Device section for instance (BUSID PCI:1:0:1 found

Could not init font path element usr/x11R6/lib/x11/fonts/long removing from $
    2 mor similair to that

Audit: <date> client 20 rejected from local host. Auth name: XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 ID: -1

Ok, it looks to me like there is some conflict between your video configuration on XWindows and your video card.

Can you post the contents of /etc/X11/XF86Config, and tell us what kind of video card you have?

Thanks for the help, I got it figured out. All I had to do was lower the resolution and it worked. I've just started to play around with it, but from what I've seen at first, I like Mandrake better. Thanks again for the help.

Good Guru

[quote author=aragon127 link=board=1;threadid=8149;start=0#msg74163 date=1069268333]
    Thanks for the help, I got it figured out. All I had to do was lower the resolution and it worked. I've just started to play around with it, but from what I've seen at first, I like Mandrake better. Thanks again for the help.
    [/quote]

Hey there. You may have figured out that I am the resident Red Hat fanboy here. But all that aside, SuSE is far superior to Mandrake. It just cost money and isnt quite as friendly to the OSS community. Mandrake is as big of a player as Red Hat when it comes to playing the OSS game. EVERYTHING is contributed.