Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outsiders

Good Guru

Re:Outsiders

I feel stupid for not thinking of this earlier and suprised nobody else did either, but :

The fucking country was founded by foreigners. Foreigners wiped out the natives almost and claimed the land. Thats us for the most part. Germans, Irish, British, Scottish, French, Italian, Russian, Ukranian ... we are a multicultural nation.

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=14;threadid=8141;start=0#msg74155 date=1069262974]
    I feel stupid for not thinking of this earlier and suprised nobody else did either, but :

The fucking country was founded by foreigners. Foreigners wiped out the natives almost and claimed the land. Thats us for the most part. Germans, Irish, British, Scottish, French, Italian, Russian, Ukranian ... we are a multicultural nation.
    [/quote]

I said that!!! Look at my post!!!!

Good Guru

I must have slashdotitis. Post then read ;D

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=14;threadid=8141;start=0#msg74159 date=1069264654]
    I must have slashdotitis. Post then read ;D
    [/quote]

In Soviet California, OUTSIDERS govern YOU!

I am so sorry...

Good Guru

I am sorry, the OUTSIDERS are too late. ANNHEUSER BUSCH governs me. AB is telling me to have beer.

Good Guru

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=14;threadid=8141;start=0#msg74155 date=1069262974]
    The fucking country was founded by foreigners.[/quote]
    To be exact, people who weren't born in the land now known as USA.

USA's first 4 ( or is it 9?, I'm not certain ) presidents were born in Europe.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=14;threadid=8141;start=0#msg74211 date=1069315017]
    The fucking country was founded by foreigners.[/quote]
    To be exact, people who weren't born in the land now known as USA.

USA's first 4 ( or is it 9?, I'm not certain ) presidents were born in Europe.
    [/quote]

George Washington was born in Virginia. Adams was born in MA. Jefferson was born in Virginia. Madison was born in Virginia. Monroe was born in Virginia. Adams was born in MA. Jackson was born in South Carolina.

Not one of the persons listed on this site was born outside of the continental Americas.

As for a foreign born person being president, I believe that the idea was that we not allow it so that the country of origin wouldn't have undue sway over our autonomy. It is a protective measure. Do I agree or disagree with it...I'll never say. I can only defend the Constitution...I do not try to interpret it or change it.

Anyway...as long as this thread remains civil, I believe that it can only do us good. We need to continuously reevaluate our laws to make sure that progress is not hampered by narrow-mindedness and stupidity. Of course, our conscience needs to be our guide, so while I might think what you consider to be narrow-minded thoughts, I might also think that your thoughts are narrow-minded. As long as there is freedom of speech, we will at least be able to consider every side of every argument that affects public policy.

Cheers

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Bullgooseloony link=board=14;threadid=8141;start=0#msg74075 date=1069170612]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=14;threadid=8141;start=0#msg74074 date=1069167710]
    Personally it scares me that a man like Arnold who is not really known for his cunning politcal wit nor his political statements can become the head of one of the biggest economical entities in the world.

I dunno about you people, but Arnold and George scares me shitless.
    [/quote]If Arnie and George scare you, take a close look at Dick "heartbeat away from the presidency" Cheney; what a scary-looking pair of eyes he's got.
    [/quote]

Welp, Dick "heartbeat away from the presidency, heartbeat away from a heart attack" Cheney is indeed scary. Has anyone read his views on things? Might make for a rather bone-chilling read.

Cheers

Good Guru

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=14;threadid=8141;start=0#msg74213 date=1069319622]
    George Washington was born in Virginia. Adams was born in MA. Jefferson was born in Virginia. Madison was born in Virginia. Monroe was born in Virginia. Adams was born in MA. Jackson was born in South Carolina.

Not one of the persons listed on this site was born outside of the continental Americas.[/quote]

The first nine presidents were not born in the United States, but Rather in the British colonies. It was not until John Taylor, born in 1790 that a president was born in the US. So how did they go about getting elected?

our 8th (Martin Van Buren), 9th (William Henry Harrison), and 12th (Zachary Taylor) Presidents were also born before the adoption of the Constitution. Van Buren in 1782, Harrison in 1773, and Taylor in 1790.

Goldater was born in the territory of Arizona in 1909 and Arizona was added in 1912 as a state.

Now, who can say he was born IN the US?

If we occupy Mexico in next year and declare that it's part of the US, all Mexicans can become president? ???

Kind Mastermind

No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.
    According to the Constitution, a natural born Citizen at the time of the adoption of the Constitution would be considered a citizen of the US and thus eligible for the presidency.

Goldwater was the son of a US citizen, thus he was a US citizen and eligible for the presidency. Exact location of birth is not important but, in fact, citizenship of said person. Those first few presidents were known patriots and born in the territory known as the colonies and thus considered citizens of the US when the constitution was adopted.
    Since all of the presidents had been residents of the terroritory so called the US for over fourteen years, they were able to become presidents of the US. None of the individuals was born outside of what is now known as the US. Because they were born in the colonies and were patriots, they were considered residents (kind of like a grandfather clause, of sorts).

Thus, the debate is without merit. Period.

BTW...both my son and my youngest daughter were born in Germany. They are not citizens of Germany but in fact citizens of the USA. They are eligible to run for the presidency once they satisfy the 35th birthday clause.