Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

back again with minor success, and a weirder problem... EDIT- Woo hoo!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: back again with minor success, and a weirder problem... EDIT- Woo hoo!!

Re:back again with minor success, and a weirder problem...

Okay... Pretty much disregard most of the above...

I've put the card in one of the PCI slots where it didn't cause any system slowdown. I'm finding that the problem getting it to work seems to be because it was set to get an IP address through DHCP. (which is how it worked the first time, not sure why it won't work now) When I set it to use a static IP address (192.168.0.10), the card works fine, and the state is listed as "up". (it also doesn't sit there so long when starting eth0 during system startup) The problem now is that I still don't have internet access. I set the gateway and DNS server to 192.168.0.1 (the IP of the WinXP system sharing the Internet connection), but the Internet access status is listed as Not connected. If I try clicking the "Connect..." button, the network card's IP address changes to (No ip) and the card's state changes to "down" for a few seconds, then comes back to what it was. So I don't know really where to go from here to get Internet access working. Any ideas?

Having gone to a static ip solution did you go back to the windows machine and change it from being a dhcp server assuming that is how you had it set up prior to this. It could be that you just need to run the networking wizard for windows xp. ???

Well, before I had installed Linux, I ran the XP wizard on the other systems, setting up the one to be sharing the connection, and the rest to receive it. Doing that setup the internet sharing system to use the IP address 192.168.0.1, while the rest of the systems received and IP from that system. (which is why I thought doing the same for Linux would work, and it did at first, but now it won't for some reason) If I make changes to that XP system, I'm not sure if it'll cause problems with the other Windows systems (including this one, multi-booting 98 and XP along with MDK 9.2) on the network. (which is also partly why I'm not sure if it'll even work to set the Linux system to a static IP)

Perhaps you should remove the card from the slot then make a normal boot without the card on board. Kudzu should now remove any none existent card. After that try installing the card again this time you should try to locate to the other slot aside from the slot you previously mentioned. Then reinstall.

By the way, have you tried testing/use the card before in other machine?

Well, since the most recent time of moving the card to a different slot, I've done a complete reinstall of Mandrake 9.2, (deleted the partitons and started fresh) so it shouldn't have anything other settings left from when the card was in a previous slot... If you think I should still take the card out, reboot, then install card, I can try that...

As for the card itself, I was previously using it in an older computer running Win95/2000, and it worked fine there, and on this same system with the Linux problems, it's working fine in Windows XP, (that's where I'm typing now) so I know the card works fine.

Well, even though the state is listed as "up", I don't think it's working properly, because I've tested, and this system can't ping any of the other network computers, and none of the network computers can ping it. Meanwhile, the older Red Hat 7 system I just setup, while not configured to get the internet connection, is pinging the Windows systems fine. (and the Windows systems can ping it fine as well)

So I know the network card won't work right in Mandrake, but I don't have a clue what to do about it...

EDIT: Bah, I don't know anything about what's going on... >_< I was restarting my main system into Mandrake 9.2, and during that, I was doing a few things on my secondary system, in Windows 2000 at the time. All of a sudden during the Mandrake start, I get some errors on Win 2000 about an IP conflict, and my network access died for a few minutes. That left several errors in my Win 2000 event log, all saying,
    "The system detected an address conflict for IP address 192.168.0.10 with the system having network hardware address 00:90:00:02:4A:5E. Network operations on this system may be disrupted as a result. "
    That's the IP I had set for the Mandrake 9.2 system, so apparently the card must be doing something... The MDK system still can't send or receive pings, though... >_< this is frustrating, to say the least...

;D ;D WOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!! ;D ;D

In my frustration, I decided to dump the Mandrake 9.2 install, and mess with Red Hat 9, just to see what it would do. Much to my surprise, I set it to use a static IP, setup any other network settings, and IT ACTUALLY WORKS!! It can ping the Windows systems, the Windows system can ping it, and the Internet access is actually working fine, without making the system ridiculously slow! (I'm currently typing this in Mozilla in Red Hat 9) WA HOO!! ;D

*happy dance*

*kicks Mandrake 9.2*

*resumes happy dance*

Thanks to all who gave suggestions, in the end, it's ended up helping me get this working in Red Hat 9, as well as getting my BCM4210 to work in Red Hat 7. Now the only thing left to do is figure out how to make the settings to get Internet access on the RH7 system... (not a huge priority right this second, I'll be too busy playing in RH9... ;D)

Re:back again with minor success, and a weirder problem... EDIT- Woo hoo!!

Congradulations

whoo hooo!! that was a boat load of work, i admire your tenacity.

Heh, thanks... Even though I'm using the older 1.0Mbps card, that isn't really a problem, since it's fine for getting the shared internet connection. The only thing that's a little slower than it was with the other card are large downloads, normal browsing is just as fast... And it's working in Linux, so I'm not complaining... ;D (and if I needed to do a large dowload quickly, I have the 10Mbps card in an older computer)