Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

External USB harddrive

Thread: External USB harddrive

Mentor

External USB harddrive

hey guys,

i have an external usb harddrive. I'm using redhat 9.

how do i mount it?

the output of mount is this:
    /dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw)
    none on /proc type proc (rw)
    usbdevfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbdevfs (rw)
    /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
    none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
    none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)

it sees it, but where do i mount it or how do i access the data on it. Kudzu didnt find new hardware but it seems to be installed.

Do i need to make a directory in /mnt, something like /mnt/usbhd? Dont i need to link it to a device in /dev but which one?

I dont want an entry in my fstab file. This is just something thats going to be on the machine only when needed.

Re:External USB harddrive

It will be accessible via the first available scsi (hd) device file. If there are no other scsi devices it should be /dev/sda1 (for the first partition, that is.)

Check the output of /var/log/messages with tail -f when you plug in the usb connector of the disk that'll tell you exactly.

If you want to automount the disk check out the hotplug package.

Mentor

thanks demian, i knew it was something simple!!

now i just have to recompile the kernel to and ntfs support > > > >

Good Guru

dont need to there is a rpm for ntfs out there. I dont have a url handy but it was on freshrpms I think.

Mentor

[quote author=Slave Copy link=board=3;threadid=8125;start=0#msg73873 date=1068836219]
    dont need to there is a rpm for ntfs out there. I dont have a url handy but it was on freshrpms I think.
    [/quote]

Do you remember the name of it?