Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Gas Prices

all i can say is EEK.

$1.98 a gallon around here. Being I get probobly between 25 and 30 miles per gallon and have to drive about 40 miles per day getting too and from school. and no there is no car pool or bus ride option.

since im a highschool student, I work enough to make about $30 a week, and pay about $20 of that for gas :/

I miss the days of being able to ride with people or riding a bus...

Re:Gas Prices

> tell me about it. 2.21 a gallon here.

Good Guru

[quote author=pbharris link=board=14;threadid=9935;start=0#msg90027 date=1098927174]
    > tell me about it. 2.21 a gallon here.
    [/quote]

Yeah -- $2.18 the other day. $40+ to fill my tank now. At least we got better prices than Europe. I would keel over broke if it ever hit $5.00

Good Guru

$ 2.29 a gallon here. >

Last time I filled up my tank, it costs me 55 bucks for my van.

Good Guru

You know what sucks more -- I drive a truck, and it doesnt have Honda mileage. I am lucky to get 20mpg. I usually am around 17.

Mentor

At $55+ a barrel for crude oil (was >$25 not very long ago) we shouldn't be surprised. Did you know that most of the crude oil comes from Canada to the US? Then Saudi Arabia, Venezuela, Mexico, Nigeria, etc. It is a misconception that the US relies mostly on Middle-Eastern oil. Have you heard about the recent political turmoil in Venezuela and Nigeria and the high demand by China? It's all about supply vs. demand, not political parties as some pre-election ads on TV suggest (funny how they claim that the war in Iraq is all about the oil and raise the issue about the environmental implications of oil drilling and at the same time complain about high gas prices). And yes, we have nothing to complain about here in the US compared to European countries as far as gas prices go.

~2.38 for regular unleaded, ~2.58 for super unleaded here. Sure hate to be one of those dumb fuckers driving those gas guzzling SUV's ;D, but that's a price you'll have to pay to compensate for a small member. My car goes round ~20 dollars per week, it probably alot cheaper in your neck of the woods.

By the way cloverm you're right, it's not just about the oil it's also a land grab that will keep the US in the middle east for a long, long time. That's one of the reasons why Bush Sr. didn't decapitate the Iraqui regime, he knew what would happened if he did.

Good Guru

Yes, the US does depends on Middle Eastern oil. Although most of the curde oil that we use comes from Canada and Alaska (plus from mainland US), the major part of Europe relies on Middle East oil including US Military. In any event the Middle Eastern oil were cut off, the supplies from South America and Canada will be pulled to Europe thus creating shortages in US.

Also, many of the major oil players in middle east are US companies. Loosing that market may mean loosing major amount of wealth.

The political sticky point of election year driven debates are that the efforts to reduce oil dependency. Bush led republicans have quietly cut funding for research on alternative fuel technologies. For example, the city I live have been planing to have solar panels installed, have them pooled from individual homes and create a grid. Well turn out, it will only be completed by year 2017 with current federal fundings (the original estimate was for 2008 with Clinton years funding).

So if it were true that US reliance on Middle Eastern oil were a myth, then why
    a) do we need to open Alaska wilderness for oil drilling?
    b) oil prices are going sky high?
    c) do we need to involve in their political affairs?

One thing I can always trust is for SUV driving americans to complain once the price of gas approaches just half what we pay in europe.

I think the Gov should give tax breaks to people who buy hybrid cars. I dont own one, but would consider it for my next vehicle.