Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

driver installation issues... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: driver installation issues...

Re:driver installation issues...

The PCTel modem driver usually spits out a similar error, and it is safe to disregard it. I'd say go ahead and try the module.

try a export gcc=ggc3 (or something similalar) or edit the makfile - it is pretty easy to do.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=8109;start=0#msg73897 date=1068865887]
    try a export gcc=ggc3 (or something similalar) or edit the makfile - it is pretty easy to do.
    [/quote]

I assume you meant "gcc3", not "ggc3"? And when/where would I type that?

As for editing the makefile, what exactly would I edit there?

[quote author=trickster link=board=1;threadid=8109;start=0#msg73896 date=1068863481]
    The PCTel modem driver usually spits out a similar error, and it is safe to disregard it. I'd say go ahead and try the module.
    [/quote]

Well, (assuming this was what you meant I should to do), I tried typing "insmod -f il", and that resulted in an immediate complete system freeze... (requiring a reset)

[quote author=PCFreak link=board=1;threadid=8109;start=0#msg73903 date=1068866767]
    I assume you meant "gcc3", not "ggc3"? And when/where would I type that?

As for editing the makefile, what exactly would I edit there?
    [/quote]

doh - yea, that is what i meant, that is assuming that is what the other gcc is called. this wopuld be typed in the same terminal where you will compile the driver, it is not permanent. for the make file there is typcally a section that looks like this:

Code:
    # programs
    CC      := gcc
    CXX      := g++
    INSTALL      := /usr/bin/install -c
    INSTALL_PROGRAM := ${INSTALL} -s
    INSTALL_DATA   := ${INSTALL} -m 644
    INSTALL_DIR   := /usr/bin/install -c -d -m 755
    it should be in the same the directory where you typed make, change the CC := gcc to CC := gcc3 . I would modify the makefile to be safe,

I looked through the makefile, but I didn't see anything like that in there. I tried typing "export gcc=gcc3" before I ran gmake, but when I try to install the module, I still get the same error. This is weird... O_o

Well, I think I'm about ready to just give up on this card... :-\ I did some searching online, and ran across this topic about a modem driver problem, similar to mine:

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showt...hreadid=112826

In the topic, I saw someone said this:

Often times the third-party drivers you get for Linux have pieces in them that are precompiled. If that's the case, then the compiler that you have on your system isn't going to matter; you need to talk to whoever made those drivers and ask them if there's any way to get it working with a modern distro (i.e., basically ask them for a version compiled with gcc 3).

Unfortunately, a lot of the Linux modem drivers that I've seen are one-shot deals; they were put out quite a while ago (while gcc 2 was still current), and never touched after that...
    Because of that, I'm thinking that may be the case with these network card drivers... The site I got the drivers from does mostly mention older distros in the installation instructions (RedHat 7.0, RedHat 7.1, RedHat 7.2, RedHat 7.3, Mandrake 8.1, etc.), and I also noticed this in the driver readme:

This release includes:
    - partial source and partial executables
    Which means I think I may be out of luck... >_< I was lucky enough to find these drivers, I've done a lot of searching prior to this, so I highly doubt that I'll find newer drivers.

Which brings me back to what started all of this, which is this page:

http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.4/2...rs/pci/pci.ids

containing the line, "BCM4210 iLine10 HomePNA 2.0"... I thought for sure this distro, which runs that newest kernel, would've already had the drivers, saving me all of this trouble... Apparently not for some reason...

Anyway, thanks to those who tried to help me with this...

did you run depmod -a after copying the new module into /lib/modules/<kernel>/

Just tried it now, still get the same error on insmod.

What is that supposed to do?

that resolves dependencies between kernel modules.
    i can't imagine that the default is not the one they used to compile there kernel.

can you please post the following output from a terminal:

gcc -v
    uname -a

it would also be nice to see what compiler was used on the kernel you use, but the only way i know how to do that is with a hex editor...