Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Distros confusion - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Distros confusion

Re:Distros confusion

Our from end mail filetring boxes are RH8 running postfix+ McAfee Webshield+ AMAViSD-new+SpamAssassin, we also run Websense on Linux, also national PDF document converion, Squid Proxies that rely https to internal http, Snort, and other stuff......quite a lot of things to migrate......
    Lets say, which available distro will support postfix+ McAfee Webshield+ AMAViSD-new+SpamAssassin on a single box....
    Will Debian do it?

[quote author=elovkoff link=board=7;threadid=8099;start=0#msg73746 date=1068658632]
    Our from end servers
    [/quote]

I mean our 'fron-end' servers......typo :-)

[quote author=elovkoff link=board=7;threadid=8099;start=0#msg73747 date=1068658772]
    [quote author=elovkoff link=board=7;threadid=8099;start=0#msg73746 date=1068658632]
    Our from end servers
    [/quote]

I mean our 'fron-end' servers......typo :-)
    [/quote]
    LOL Don't you mean front-end.

Anyways, amavisd-new will run on any Linux distro. As for McAfee Webshield, isn't that basically a box that filters viruses for you? If so it should behave like yet another computer in your network that you can send mail to, have it scan it for you and send it back to your mailgateway for processing. I don't see anything RH specific here.

Sans the McAfee thing this sounds pretty much what we do here using debian+exim: The mail comes in and is send to a virus scanning box. I don't maintain that box but I know it's running debian+amavisd-new+spamassasin as well. Mails containing virii are kept on the scanning machine or stripped of the infected attachments and a bounce is sent back. Spamassasin generates a X-spam-score header field that our mailgateway uses to decide what to do with it. Of course you can use postfix rather than exim if you like and run all this on the same machine. I don't know how Webshield fits in here cause I don't know what it is. In debian it's very easy to change essential system software to something other than the distro default. You can even install two MTAs and chose the one you want using update-alternatives(8)

Migrating all this to another distro will be a lot of work, no matter what distro you use (maybe even RHEE), but it seems there's no alternative for you unless you want to hunt down and compile security fixes by hand.

I guess I can't avoid a lot of work, I just should figure out which distro to use....

Good Guru

[quote author=elovkoff link=board=7;threadid=8099;start=0#msg73659 date=1068490689]
    I got a bit (at least) confused with all those changes to red hat...I gues I need some 'human language' explanation regarding this....
    The way I understand it:
    Red hat won't support Red Hat for those who are willing to download it and run it without purchasing the support. True? (If this is the case then it's pretty annoying.....we run approx 15 linux servers on red hat in our organization (icluding critical mail and internet filtering software) and I don't need RH support, all I need is their security patches from time to time.....now, the question is:
    In order for me to maintain those RH servers on the needed security level should I buy support from RH, otherwise I'm screwed?
    [/quote]

Well put simply all they care to commercially deal with are the Enterprise Linuxes. They gave their lifespan for RHL 8 and 9, and will continue to support till the EOL date is hit. If you need RH's technical support, I would advise getting one of the Enterprise products. You get the level of support you want and up2date as part of the package.

As to Fedora....is it the same RH distro but supported by OpenSource community....or is it something new?

P.S. So far I'm feeling like telling to RH to go to Red Hell .... why should I pay if I don't need tech support? So far I'm feelng like migrating the whole thing to SUSE.....
    Fedora is the free download version essentially. With the added staff and the entire user community now able to get their rpms added much more easily, we should be in a better spot now.

SuSE isnt free. Why complain about now having to pay, and goto a pay only distro? If all else Slack or Debian I could understand, or BSD for the matter.

Associate

I downloaded and installed SuSE 9.0 from the internet. That's as free as it gets. I have the 5 CD's of the Professional Edition.. SuSE is the best distribution of Linux I have seen.

[quote author=Crox link=board=7;threadid=8099;start=0#msg73861 date=1068814357]
    I downloaded and installed SuSE 9.0 from the internet. That's as free as it gets. I have the 5 CD's of the Professional Edition.. SuSE is the best distribution of Linux I have seen.
    [/quote]

Good for you : You know, of course, that that's illegal. So you could at least not brag about it here.

The cost advantage for the home user is a plus for Linux (or any free software for that matter) that's never really perceived as one. Everybody just "gets the software somewhere". This isn't ok when it comes to closed source software (including Windows) and it isn't ok for OSS either.

If you like SuSE so much go and buy the boxed set and support it's development or wait till you can do an ftp install for free three months after the release date for the boxed set.

Good Guru

[quote author=Crox link=board=7;threadid=8099;start=0#msg73861 date=1068814357]
    [/quote]

Well as demian already beat me to, that isnt something to brag about :-X And yes SuSE is a fine piece of work. I never said otherwise. It just isnt free.

I tried the FTP download edition of SuSE it's still at 8.2 - and boy it sucks... it's like rodcanal treatments without getting druged first.

I certainly hope 9.0 is better, because their installer blows goats, and their OS is even worse.

I certainly hope Novell and Ximian can rescue that sorry excuse for an OS.

Associate

Please let me know what exactly is illegal about this. If the iso images are available for download at no charge, how does that violate any contract regarding SuSE?

http://www.nondos.com/frames/download_suse.html