Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Distros confusion

Distros confusion

I got a bit (at least) confused with all those changes to red hat...I gues I need some 'human language' explanation regarding this....
    The way I understand it:
    Red hat won't support Red Hat for those who are willing to download it and run it without purchasing the support. True? (If this is the case then it's pretty annoying.....we run approx 15 linux servers on red hat in our organization (icluding critical mail and internet filtering software) and I don't need RH support, all I need is their security patches from time to time.....now, the question is:
    In order for me to maintain those RH servers on the needed security level should I buy support from RH, otherwise I'm screwed?

As to Fedora....is it the same RH distro but supported by OpenSource community....or is it something new?

P.S. So far I'm feeling like telling to RH to go to Red Hell .... why should I pay if I don't need tech support? So far I'm feelng like migrating the whole thing to SUSE.....

Re:Distros confusion

Schot . . . er . . . Slave Copy?
    This is definitely a question for Slave Copy.

I found this page. It seems that, yes, the only way to get security updates via RH is to buy the enterprise version. If and how security updates for fedora will be available seems to be totally up to the community but I couldn't find any info on that on the fedora pages.

Can't you just use apt to get updates ???

[quote author=demian link=board=7;threadid=8099;start=0#msg73699 date=1068584988]
    I found this page. It seems that, yes, the only way to get security updates via RH is to buy the enterprise version. If and how security updates for fedora will be available seems to be totally up to the community but I couldn't find any info on that on the fedora pages.
    [/quote]

Thanks, that clarifies it, although I don't exactly like the direction that Rad Hat has taken......

I believe RH is taking out the feature to use the "up2date" feature, and making any account below the Enterprise Level download and install them manually.

That's a rethorical question but anyway....what were they thinking in RH? As I said I have 15 pretty much critical boxes running RH on our company, now the situation looks like 'pay up or loose it'. I'm sorry but that reminds me M$ a bit.

Or use the free Fedora Distro they fund... Ender is heading the Fedora Legacy project to extend support time to Fedora btw.

[quote author=elovkoff link=board=7;threadid=8099;start=0#msg73733 date=1068646405]
    That's a rethorical question but anyway....what were they thinking in RH? As I said I have 15 pretty much critical boxes running RH on our company, now the situation looks like 'pay up or loose it'. I'm sorry but that reminds me M$ a bit.
    [/quote]

I understand this is frustrating. If you use RH 9 security updates will be supplied until April, 30th, 2004. (For all other versions it's December, 31st, 2003.) Maybe by that time a security update plan will be implemented in fedora. Migrating 15 servers is a lot of work, though, so you probaly don't want to just wait and see. I have no experience with SuSE on a server. I used to use it as a desktop system and it's a fine distro that's well worth the money.

What sort of services do you run on the servers? Since ~4 years we use debian (stable) on five servers that run firewall, dns, dhcp, apache, mysql, amanda (backup), samba, nfs, squid, ftp, ssh + stuff I forgot. There's a dedicated server that mirrors security.debian.org. A cronjob makes md5sum checks and then sends an ok to all servers on the network to update themselves. This works very painlessly.

Obviously you don't have some unified front-end to control the system like with RH or SuSE (unless you count webmin which I don't really trust). But if that's not a requirement for your systems then maybe debian is worth checking out.

I'd be inclined to agree with demian here. When debian deems that something has reached stable, they mean it.

The only downside is that you have to use ancient software, but you mentioned that the RH boxes are critical so I'm assuming you're not after bleeding-edge.