Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

OS X Panther Review
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OS X Panther Review

OS X Panther Review

After using OS X.2 for about 6 months Panther finally came out and I ordered as any good OS loving guy would.

Specs
    PPC G4 @ 867MHz
    512 MB SDRAM
    40 gig HD
    24x CD-Burner/DVD Drive
    15.x Display
    5 Hour Battery
    802.11g Airport Card (52MBits/sec)

Installation
    Installation was a snap. I put in the Panther CD, clicked on the installer and it rebooted into a install wizard. From there is was extremely simple to update or make a fresh install (as I did).

First Impressions
    Panther is faster than OS X.2 so much so that it would be worth it just to purchased it for that. Windows are snappier, applications start in half the time, and the system preferences work without 'loading'

New Feature
    Apple has redone the finder, the Nautilus of Mac OS X, and made it much easier to use. It no defaults to left bar of your 'favorite' disk sites with icons on the left not unlike Nautilus. One of the great new features is it's ability to search while you type. As your typing out your search it keeps narrowing down it's search. I assume it's a binary tree search pattern which is very efficient.

Expose is awsome. When I first saw it at apples website I thought it was probably just a fun feature rather than useful. I was wrong. It comes in handy so much to hit a button and have eye view of all your windows, app windows, or desktop. Check out apples information here

There is also a new security feature which keeps home directories encrypted with AES-128 bit encryption. It encrypts and decrypts on the fly so it's seamless to the user.

Another great new feature is the fast user switching borrowed from Windows. The difference with the Panthers implementation is that it is*far better thought through. You don't have to go to the login screen to switch users unless you want to, you can do it from your desktop. It also seems to work a bit faster than the windows version, but it's not fair to compare due to the times these were implemented (information on FUS has increased while Microsoft was (one of the?) first to attempt it).

OS X.3 also comes with XCode, Apple's development tool for creating Mac OS X and Java application. It's very similar to Codewarrior except it comes free with Panther. It also sports all the other development tools from OS X.2 (gcc 3.3, Carbon, Cocoa, Classic, Quartz, OpenGL, Java Swing, and Java Cocoa).

Apple's X11 server is now bundled with the OS on the last Panther disk. It can be installed without searching Apple's download site.

Apple has also done excellent work with integrating CUPS into the OS. With OS X.2 you had to install Apple's port of CUPS using your browser on a local port to set up non-apple/TCP-IP network printers. Now, it's as simple as adding a printer and clicking on it, Panther configures cups for you and, if you didn't know better, wouldn't even know your using it.

What I Like
    It's fast!
    Pretty Interface.
    Awsome Client Abilites to Unix and Windows.
    Fast Wireless
    OSS Tools Available
    Darwin Code available
    Voice Activation
    Fast Java VM

What I Don't Like
    Still starts up a bit slow
    xnu (kernel) uses strcpy and strcat

Mentor

Re:OS X Panther Review

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=11;threadid=8080;start=#msg73531 date=1068237764]
    [/quote]

Just curious. What difference does that make?

[quote author=cloverm link=board=11;threadid=8080;start=0#msg73533 date=1068238108]
    [quote author=Ashcrow link=board=11;threadid=8080;start=#msg73531 date=1068237764]
    [/quote]

Just curious. What difference does that make?
    [/quote]

strcpy and strcat are known to create buffer overflows in code. In OpenBSD they use strlcpy and strlcat which are safer versions of strcpy and strcat. There are strncpy and strncat functions in the kernel but they don't seem to be used very often and they still fall short compared to strl*.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=11;threadid=8080;start=0#msg73531 date=1068237764]

What I Don't Like
    [/quote]

Just curious as well. How do you know? Is Apple's kernel proprietary, or is it identical to GNU/Darwin?

Nice review Ashcrow!!! As soon as I upgrade the 8600, I'll have to give it try.

I don't use PPC, but I bought it for my sister at the university. They were selling it for $49.

my copy will be arriving this week.

looking forward to it. dunno yet if i will clean install it or not though.

interesting thing about the printer i connected my printer once and did not have to do more than that in jag.

[quote author=sarah31 link=board=11;threadid=8080;start=0#msg73570 date=1068315214]
    my copy will be arriving this week.

looking forward to it. dunno yet if i will clean install it or not though.

interesting thing about the printer i connected my printer once and did not have to do more than that in jag.
    [/quote]

My printer was a SAMBA shared printer on the network connected to a Windows XP machine. At the time Apple's version of CUPS was the only thing that would connect and print. Now CUPS is part of the OS by default and working behind the scenes if your printer is on a SAMBA share.

Was your printer SAMBA with Jag? If so then I'm not sure why I had to manually install Apple's CUPS ???.

Oh well

never used never had use of samba. i just pluggged my usb printer into the usb socket waited a few seconds and printed. didn't have to download anything.....same with the initial release of OS X

no matter still looking forward to panther later this week.

Ah thats the diffrence. I yours was a local printer while mine was a network printer connected to a Windows system.

You'll love Panther it really is worth the money and wait.