Thread: Debian

Debian

I think I am ready to try Debian, but im going to use it as a dual boot system since a partition of free space already exists. right now the system is a win2k with

P4 2.4ghz oc'd to 2.6
    512mb DDR
    onboard sound
    onboard lan
    and a 128mb radeon 9800 pro

what flavor is my best bet for getting this to work and also how would i go about getting it to work with the new radeon

Re:Debian

Pick any flavor you want. They all work great. Just remember when i comes to Debian, "Stable = As stable as stable can get" and "unstable = stable, but still not released as stable for some reason". 3.0rc1 works great over here. No problems what so ever.

Good Guru

Well, you will really need to find out what chipsets are for your onborad sound and LAN uses. When it's time to load modules, it would be so much easier to do it there than have to install it later although it's certainly possible.

Debian's stable system is for production systems which needs solid proven OS with little or no problem at all.

That's why many productions still uses WinNT 4.0 as well as Win2K as we might call it up to date in Windows world.

That's also why Debian advised that if you want the latest and greatest, go with unstable. And if you don't mind breaking the whole system once in a while ( oh, I've had that before ), unstable is sooooo great.

Just posting to plug Knoppix again. Another option os to burn the latest Knoppix CD and boot your machine using the live CD capability. It will give you a good idea of how well the OS will play with your hardware. If everything is cool you can then partition and format your HD and install Knoppix to your hard drive (try following the instructions at this site: http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html). Once you are done you are essentially running Debian "unstable" with KDE as your DE. Once installed, however, you can update your apt sources and install Gnome or XFCE4 or IceWM or whatever using apt-get. If you have problems booting from CD try checking out the Knoppix web site for help (http://www.knoppix.org if you get the protest site just click on the "KNOPPIX" hyperlink).

the hardware works fine with knoppix, i just dont know how to setup my xf86config for a radeon 9800, i tried to mimic knoppix's but i couldnt get it right

If I remember correctly a hard drive install of Knoppix will sort out any X configuration issues. When I did mine everything was as I would have liked so I did not have to do any X configuration.
    If everything works when Knoppix is running live you should be good to go ahead with a HD install and your video should work as well. Of course, I have not tested this as I am still running a Nvidia GF2 MX400 card and am not saving up for a Radeon 9800 at the moment. The best I can suggest is to try the Knoppix HD install and if it works, enjoy it, if not . . . it won't have wasted much of your time. Good luck whatever route you take . . . Debian is fun to use and I don't want you to miss out.

[quote author=Master Copy link=board=7;threadid=8090;start=0#msg73601 date=1068401960]
    Pick any flavor you want. They all work great. Just remember when i comes to Debian, "Stable = As stable as stable can get" and "unstable = stable, but still not released as stable for some reason". 3.0rc1 works great over here. No problems what so ever.
    [/quote]

That's right. Basically you can equate "unstable" to "released within the last few weeks." It tends to be for the most part current. Stable is stable, but OLD. For example, the latest version of gnome that's available in stable is 1.4. The latest kde is 2.2.2. So I myself would recommend stable. I'm able to run Gnome 2.4 with gstreamer 0.64 (though that one turned out to be a mistake), gaim 0.72, etc etc, and it's as stable as can be expected of a system that's currently in flux.

EDIT: whoops...I mean to say I would recommend UNSTABLE. That's UNSTABLE that lets me run Gnome 2.4

Ok I tried to install Debian this past weekend, I didn't try very hard. I was wondering if you have to know what your hardware is when you install Debian. It looked as though I went through a kernel compilation, where I had to chose which drivers I wanted built into it. Is there somewhere along the line that the install will check to see what hardware I have and then get the drivers to load at startup?

[quote author=Izan Seth link=board=7;threadid=8090;start=0#msg73731 date=1068645736]
    Ok I tried to install Debian this past weekend, I didn't try very hard. I was wondering if you have to know what your hardware is when you install Debian. It looked as though I went through a kernel compilation, where I had to chose which drivers I wanted built into it. Is there somewhere along the line that the install will check to see what hardware I have and then get the drivers to load at startup?
    [/quote]

You had to know your hardware inside-out with the old debian install. However, you might try the beta of the debian installer. Not sure where it is, but I'm sure it's googleable. Basically it's Red Hat's Anaconda ported to Debian. I hear it comes with automatic hardware detection as well!

[quote author=Izan Seth link=board=7;threadid=8090;start=0#msg73731 date=1068645736]
    I was wondering if you have to know what your hardware is when you install Debian. It looked as though I went through a kernel compilation, where I had to chose which drivers I wanted built into it.
    [/quote]

I think your talking about modconf. This basically is a front-end that let's you select the modules that are then written to /etc/modules and loaded on startup. If you don't have very exotic hardware that you need to boot the system there's nothing to select here. (At least initially. If some piece of hardware fails to work you can always go back to this dialog but starting modconf from a console.)

The debian installer is pretty much in flux at the moment. A beta for the new debian-installer that replaces the old boot-floppies (don't let the name fool you, the boot-floppies also can be iso-images) is available here for i386 and ppc only.

What Tyr_7BE referred to is the pgi installer developed by progeny. I never used this so I can't comment on how well it works. Ian Murdock recently posted a status report to the debian-devel mailing list. Maybe there's some info on what works and what doesn't. (I'm too lazy to read it.)