Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Red Hat tells customers, 'No more freebies!" - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Hat tells customers, 'No more freebies!"

Re:Red Hat tells customers, 'No more freebies!"

I think it's more of a business move, a name change type of thing. They're going to use the RedHat name for business purposes and for the open source crowd, will use Fedora Linux. It should still be free to download and install.

Traitors? Screw Red Hat? Red (sellout) Hat? Come on people! This is a company trying to stay afloat, and the free RHL was like swimming with a lead albatross. So what did they do instead? They gave the entire thing to the community! They still sanction free software, and still heavily support Fedora...only now it's MORE free. I think this is a good thing. RH can now focus on the enterprise and developing a killer server, and the community gets a huge injection of state-of-the-art technology!

Mandrake ownz u all

PS - Suse costs money especially now that Novell bought it

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=19;threadid=8059;start=0#msg73386 date=1067952068]
    Traitors? Screw Red Hat? Red (sellout) Hat? Come on people! This is a company trying to stay afloat, and the free RHL was like swimming with a lead albatross. So what did they do instead? They gave the entire thing to the community! They still sanction free software, and still heavily support Fedora...only now it's MORE free. I think this is a good thing. RH can now focus on the enterprise and developing a killer server, and the community gets a huge injection of state-of-the-art technology!
    [/quote]

i don't think i could ahve said it better. and they still are ardent supporters of the GPL.

Ok, maybe I flew off the handle half cocked there. I've been out of the RedHat scene for quite some time. I broke my Linux cherry on RH, and the last version of it I ran, I liked very much.

I don't know about Fedora, and all that, but hey I don't blame them for marketing a for-pay product to businesses, and If I were the IT manager at a business, I would pay for the license to get the support and all of that. I took that article to mean no more free downloads of ISO's, which is how the company started and gained a following to begin with.

If they still provide free downloads through "Fedora", then fine, maybe I'll check that out.

[quote author=rick420 link=board=19;threadid=8059;start=0#msg73391 date=1067959593]
    Mandrake ownz u all

[/quote]

I can't imagine Novell trying to make much of its' profits off the low end products. I imagine if they change the current pricing at all, they'll make it cheaper for people like you and me.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=19;threadid=8059;start=0#msg73386 date=1067952068]
    [/quote]

Yep, I agree too... and there's nothing wrong with a company trying to make $$$ (as long as they do it with honest business tactics)... that's what companies are for, not for charity! And if red Hat thinks this is a good move, well, fine, no need to freak out!

And like Cloverm pointed out, they support open stadards, which is indeed much better than giving away stuff for free. Open standards make a fair competition possible.

Well, all this news doesn't affect my distro choices - I've never been a great Red Hat fan, so I'll just continue being happy and using SuSE.

[quote author=GhostDawg link=board=19;threadid=8059;start=0#msg73382 date=1067938485]
    I think it's more of a business move, a name change type of thing. They're going to use the RedHat name for business purposes and for the open source crowd, will use Fedora Linux. It should still be free to download and install.

[/quote]

Exactly how I see it as well. RHL is not dead. It is Fedora linux. Installed fedora on my laptop last night, and it's pretty nice. Most noticeable? Yeah.. it's identical to RHL! Whoddathoughtit.. again, fedora isn't a beta for RHE, no more than RHL was.. which I guess you could argue was a beta for RHE as well. Stable releases 2 to 3 times per year.. After poking around with it on my laptop I've gotta say I'm staying with RHL .. er, Fedora I mean (what's in a name?)

One thing to remember is that Red Hat is and was a profitable company. This move is to (hopefully) gain more profit. I'm not sure if it will work though as most Linux IT guys will not want to pay Windows Server prices for 1 year of Linux updates on a server.

Good Guru

[quote author=rick420 link=board=19;threadid=8059;start=0#msg73391 date=1067959593]
    Mandrake ownz u all

[/quote]

And there the Lurker King is ;D