Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Comcast

Thread: Comcast

Comcast

There is a really good deal for broadband with comcast. So I am thinking about switching to them. Do they block any major ports. And how do they support linux?

Good Guru

Re:Comcast

They don't really care what OS you use as long as you don't ask technical questions. ;D

hehhee, all seriously though, they are good. Besides charging too much for data only service, $ 59.95 plus $ 3 for modem rental for me for Internet only without Cable TV service, the reliability seems to be pretty good.

They also do not block any server ports. I've this site running off of my box with Comcast connection. I also run FTP server and mail server off of this connection as well.

My Gateway box is Debian with DHCPD ( no PPPoE shit ) and I've used with PUMP as well without any problems at all. Except the virus network flooding to my Apache logs, the network is pretty good shape.

They officially do not support Linux ( as well as their comcast.net site is Flash based even for menus : ) but they won't bother you as well ( at least ATTBI unofficially supported Linux ) so it's all good for me.

I've been using comcast since February.

They won't support networks or linux (networks are in fact against the TOS I do believe, they want you to purchase their network plan where they charge you out the ass and give you a couple extra IPs) so when they came out to do the install I had a windows machine that wasn't networked for them to setup. Soon as they left I moved the cable modem to my linux router and registered the MAC on that machine with their remote server. At the time the procedure was that, if your MAC wasn't registered with them and active (only one active) you got a 3600 second lease that only let you access their machine for registering macs. You had to setup your browser to use that site as a proxy, and then start the registration process through it. Pretty simple, I'm not sure what the site was though. Has worked great since.

As for running servers, it's against the TOS, meaning they could kick you off if they find you running a server. That said, I know a few people that do run servers and it seems the actual policy is to ignore unless you're causing a problem (using massive amounts of bandwidth I suppose.) I probably would go with a DSL provider if I could get DSL other than idsl here, with a lot less restrictive TOS. Sure, comcast _probably_ won't go after me for breaking it but I'd rest a little easier if I had an internet connection provider who wrote it out that I was allowed to do anything I want with the connection as far as servers are concerned.

Good Guru

[quote author=vvx link=board=14;threadid=8048;start=0#msg73373 date=1067913939]
    They won't support networks or linux (networks are in fact against the TOS I do believe, they want you to purchase their network plan where they charge you out the ass and give you a couple extra IPs)[/quote]
    Well, they can't prove that you are running network unless they visit unannounced which is prohibited by FCC rules.

so when they came out to do the install I had a windows machine that wasn't networked for them to setup. Soon as they left I moved the cable modem to my linux router and registered the MAC on that machine with their remote server.
    I'm not sure what installation procedure is now but I've seen commercials that most discounted prices offering are for self-install kits. You will have to do it yourself. If tech is required or desiered, it's extra $200, IIRC.
    I was moved from @Home to ATTBI to Comcast so I have no idea how the set up was. Plus, I never needed them anyway.

As for running servers, it's against the TOS, meaning they could kick you off if they find you running a server.
    Almost all ( if not all ) will not allow any kind of server even DSL providers. SBC prohibit such servers and even block ports ( at least that's what a friend of mine told me ).

Sure, comcast _probably_ won't go after me for breaking it but I'd rest a little easier if I had an internet connection provider who wrote it out that I was allowed to do anything I want with the connection as far as servers are concerned.
    Good luck finding one. None of the consumer service providers will allow it as far as I am aware of. Some business DSL allow it but the price is more than four fold.

Comon compunuts, there's tons of good DSL companies offering you the "Do whatever the hell you want with your connection" out there. DSL is almost always more lenient on rules than cable companies are. Off the top of my head, speakeasy is super.

There are methods they can use to determine if you're using a product like a linksys router. It has to do with data in the packets. When more than one computer is sending packets the data can be analyzed and they can check to see if they think it's more than one computer. Proof? Probably not, but if you read their TOS they don't need proof. They can cut you off for anything they deem worthy.

The install here in february was the only option they offered at the time. I'm not sure what current policy is, which is why I made mention of the month I had it installed. At the time they were doing installations free of charge anyway, so it's not a big deal to me.

There's also the options you have with DSL you don't with Cable. With cable internet, if your company, say comcast, has strict TOS there's nothing really to do about it.. you use cable or you don't.

With DSL, you lease the line from the telco and then pay someone to provide you an internet connection. You could make that someone the phone company, they do sell the services, but so do so many other companies. http://www.dslreports.com/ is an excellent resource on broadband information.