Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: doesnt get much better then this...

Hybrid View

doesnt get much better then this...

this summer i signed up for 256k dsl..they told me i would get a little more, but not much..for a few months i was doing roughly 420k, and recently it was down for a day..and now i get closer to 560k average..cant beat that, can you? imean bandwidth wise you could, but i was told i would get less then half of what i actually get. (though i think you can all figure it out, by 560k imean roughly 70KB/s..though its between 68 and 72 usually)

Re:doesnt get much better then this...

I just switched to cable. 2.2mb/s (about 600kb/s download)

i thought about cable, but from what ive heard, all of the cable providers around here are too bitchy over other user's bandwidth. so i got dsl.

I don't think cable companies operate any way except bitchy. How strange it is that a type of corporation that's built on the money of its subscribers should give a rat's ass about the very people it's built upon. However, they don't. They seem to be set up in checkerboard formation across North America, each one having its own private little monopoly in the area. I just got put through the process. I got high speed, and was getting about 300 k/s regularly. Three days later, I get half a K on a good day. For a few days I was averaging 40 bytes/sec. I call up their tech support, and all I get is that there seems to be a problem in the area, and that they're investigating. I call four more times in the next two weeks, and all I get is that the company has acknowledged that there exists a problem in the area. Finally, after three weeks of virtual inactivity, they send a repair guy. According to the guy, they had too many modems operating on the same frequency in the area. He was there for THREE MINUTES, and I was well on my way, sailing at 250K/s again. HOW does it take THREE WEEKS to perform THREE MINUTES of work? The only reason I'm not switching is because the only other high speed provider in the area is DSL, and they cap your downloads at 10 Gigs / month. Given my internet consumption, that probably wouldn't do for me, let alone my four roommates.

> > >

I had dsl before this, that was a f*cking nightmare! They promised 640kb/s but what I got was 640 divided by 8. On a good day I could d/l at about 12 kb/s. Tech support was nonexistent.
    The cable company has been a dream. I called them at 9am and by 1pm the Service Rep was at the door with a modem. Service has been flawless and it's half the price of dsl.

[quote author=martin link=board=14;threadid=8026;start=0#msg73204 date=1067473495]
    I had dsl before this, that was a f*cking nightmare! They promised 640kb/s but what I got was 640 divided by 8. On a good day I could d/l at about 12 kb/s. Tech support was nonexistent.
    The cable company has been a dream. I called them at 9am and by 1pm the Service Rep was at the door with a modem. Service has been flawless and it's half the price of dsl.
    [/quote]

dude, when they tell you kb/s they mean kilo-bits a second. they kept their promise, you just didnt catch it...because there is 8 bits in a byte

I have to get rid of mine next year. Won't be able to afford it when KK Jr comes. Oh well worth it.

*KK uses his sick pipe like tomorrow is the last day

Mentor

I'm on 128kb/s DSL here, next year 10Mbps Moving into a university hall of residence. Gonna be soo sweet, but have to pay for data

[quote author=Terg link=board=14;threadid=8026;start=0#msg73205 date=1067476399]
    [quote author=martin link=board=14;threadid=8026;start=0#msg73204 date=1067473495]
    [/quote]

dude, when they tell you kb/s they mean kilo-bits a second. they kept their promise, you just didnt catch it...because there is 8 bits in a byte
    [/quote]
    After 2 hours on hold waiting for tech support I was informed about the bit's/bytes.

[quote author=Master Copy link=board=14;threadid=8026;start=0#msg73208 date=1067492551]
    I have to get rid of mine next year. Won't be able to afford it when KK Jr comes. Oh well worth it.

*KK uses his sick pipe like tomorrow is the last day
    [/quote]

Congratulations on the fatherhood to come... enjoy your peace while it lasts, and remember before sunrise he's your wifes son