Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch Out?

Clutch Out?

Hi All,

I have a '94 Honda Civic and the clutch is not working right. I either have to press it ALL the way down and it sometimes works. Alternatively I have to stomp on it several times for it to hit my foot then it will work. After awhile I have to go through this again.

Anyone have an idea what is wrong and what it could cost me?

Thanks

Re:Clutch Out?

Not sure about the Civic, but I had an '88 Dodge Aries that needed the clutch replaced. Parts were only around $350, but with labour included it was $700 or so. It was a friend of mind that owns a garage too, so I'm pretty sure he didn't drag his ass to make extra cash...at least I hope not... Anyway the bad thing about this problem on the Dodge is that you have to take apart half the car to get at the clutch. Hope it's not the same case with Honda...

I clutch wont cost you much it's the labour thats going to cost a lot. I suggest that you ask this at www.speedoptions.com someone there well know how much and a good cheap shop ;D

Sounds like you need a new clutch plate. A good $60-90 there. On a 94' Civic, you might as well take it to Honda unless you want to drop out most of the front driver side suspension. Even changing the oil filter on one of those is a bitch unless you have some 12-year-old with noodles for arms. :P

Don't wait! Get it fixed ASAP, or you'll end up paying about $2K for the trans to be rebuilt. I'd STOP driving it completely and have it towed to the shop where you'll be having the work done on it. If you're having problems with it getting stuck in gear, it's probably too late to avoid a rebuild.

Well as I was starting my car the clutch TOTALLY stopped working. So I decided to see if I could see anything wrong with the clutch. So I followed to cluth to under the hood. What I saw is two cup looking things. One was the break fluid thing and the other one I didn't know. After double checking I saw that the other uknown cup fluid thing seemed to be connected to my clutch. I opened it and it was dry not a single drop of clutch/break fluid in sight. So I went down to AutoZone and bought some break oil. I got home and put some in pumped the clutch and it worked. Took a test drive and the clutch feels totally different even before it broke down. I got it fixed for 3 bucks. I am SO glad.

Thanks guys appreciate your help.

Tyr_7BE - $350 on parts? Damm, the new clutch, pressure plate and TO bearing for my '65 Porsche was cheaper... did the labor myself (that woulda cost me $700 right there)... pulling the engine to do it is a bitch tho.

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=14;threadid=7952;start=0#msg72680 date=1066265297]
    Well as I was starting my car the clutch TOTALLY stopped working. So I decided to see if I could see anything wrong with the clutch. So I followed to cluth to under the hood. What I saw is two cup looking things. One was the break fluid thing and the other one I didn't know. After double checking I saw that the other uknown cup fluid thing seemed to be connected to my clutch. I opened it and it was dry not a single drop of clutch/break fluid in sight. So I went down to AutoZone and bought some break oil. I got home and put some in pumped the clutch and it worked. Took a test drive and the clutch feels totally different even before it broke down. I got it fixed for 3 bucks. I am SO glad.

[/quote]Keep an eye on that fluid level; you have a hydraulic clutch system; it works like the brake system in your car, the master cylinder pressurizes a slave cylinder at the other end of the system; that releases the clutch, but one of the two cylinders is leaking (or there's aleak in the hydraulic hose). Don't let the fluid level get low again; it could cause the clutch to not diengage properly; that'll toast ithe clutch plate pretty quickly; I'd suggest you determine where the leak is, fix it, and bleed the system. It'll be a pain in the ass, but it's a ton cheaper than replacing a clutch.

Mentor

[quote author=gmoreno link=board=14;threadid=7952;start=0#msg72680 date=1066265297]

[/quote]

What makes you think this is fixed?

Where did the fluid go? The fluid dosent just get used up. Clutch fluid doesnt evaporate. Is it leaking, it must be if it was empty.

Just get it fixed, right!

Well I never had put oil in it so i thought that after close to 10 years it just dried up. But no you guys have made me think and I should get it checked. Well tommorrow I will change the oil I will try to take a look see if I can see anything wrong.