Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Why malware parasites are starting to draw Linux blood - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why malware parasites are starting to draw Linux blood

Advisor
    w00t!!! i agree with someone

Mentor

Re: Why malware parasites are starting to draw Linux blood

:w00t: ¡Viva Ché! :w00t:

¡Up the Revoution!

Quote Originally Posted by ZennouRyuu";p="4427
    Quote Originally Posted by maccorin";p="4426
    IMHO linux's biggest defense against automated security threats is simply it's anarchistic culture, this may be going away in the enterprise place, but i'm not so sure....
    What a beautiful sentiment I couldn't agree more. And sure the mainstream distros will be a little more suceptable, but with the rate at which things can change as far as system/application/library versions goes, I think we will be able to enjoy this little bonus for some time to come.

So, what we're saying is that, because of the fact that Linux requires an active user to get everything working properly, a computer virus just isn't up to task. I find this statement both ironic, funny, and disturbing.

Qualifier: Many things work fine and are completely compatible. What we seem to be saying is that not everything is completely compatible with every distor (w/o tweaking that is).

Just think, if viruses have problems with the main stream scattered shards of Linux, how difficult will it be for them to infect self-built systems (which I am currently working on myself BTW ).

Advisor
    no, that's not what i am saying.

linux distros are built largely from source code, in many different places. the libraries you find on redhat are not binary compatible with the libraries you find on debian for an example.

AND many distro's patch things themselves, so a hole in one distro probably doesn't exist in another.

Then you have the problem of there isn't a "standard" program for many things, webserver... yes apache, kernel... yes, linux, but almost everything else there is a multitude of choices that are actually used. Case in point, a virus writer can spread a virus effectivly via a whole in outlook on windows, but a virus writer couldn't even spread a virus _only amoung the "evolution" users_ in linux due to a whole in it because it is probably _not_ binary compatible with whatever package he happens to be using, evolution on redhat != evolution on debian (from a virus writers perspective)